For 1L's: What is the biggest diff between College and LS Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: For 1L's: What is the biggest diff between College and LS

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm

dychen85 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote: Ha, gotcha. I've noticed similar errors in my blue books, dychen. Makes me wonder how I passed sometimes.
lol.. if you try to read the stuff out loud you would of thought it was written by a 10 year old.
Even worse when it's stuff I did write as a 10-year-old. Eek.

Living in America

Bronze

Post by Living in America » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm

The women were much more attractive in college.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Living in America wrote:The women were much more attractive in college.
haha thats an easy fix. Just go to a school with a large undergrad population :lol:

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Living in America wrote:The women were much more attractive in college.
Another one of those things that depends on your major...

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm

I second the comment about the hotter women in college.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm

a pretty big difference will be the number of your classmates who are crazy smart, crazy accomplished, or crazy both. going from a TTT undergrad to a T14 law school, this was pretty acute for me, but since law school is generally pretty hard to get into (and since people very often end up matriculating at a school that was a "reach" for them) i'd imagine this is a pretty universal "problem." so it can be a humbling experience to realize that you are suddenly not the most intelligent or driven person in the room. the solution is to suck up whatever blows your ego takes after this realization and figure out ways to use your classmates' intelligence to your benefit. writing down their comments in class is not the right way to do this. forming a study group might be.

some 2Ls at my school composed and performed a song called "everyone's smarter than you" in order to emphasize this. it was catchy.

Calikat

New

Post by Calikat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 pm

Depends on what your college major was. If it was science/eng then probably not too much. If it was underwater basketweaving (or poli sci, history, etc.), then probably huge.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm

dychen85 wrote:lol.. if you try to read the stuff out loud you would of thought it was written by a 10 year old.

Ancitter

New

Post by Ancitter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:05 am

Calikat wrote:Depends on what your college major was. If it was science/eng then probably not too much. If it was underwater basketweaving (or poli sci, history, etc.), then probably huge.
Really?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 am

isn't engineering hard and stuff?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 am

irishlaw

New

Post by irishlaw » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:09 am

"The biggest difference is that in law school, you can't just go to class, do all the assigned readings, and expect to come out with an A."

Hah, that wouldn't never fly in my ug classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 am

gladiator wrote:
dychen85 wrote:lol.. if you try to read the stuff out loud you would of thought it was written by a 10 year old.
Sorry it's "would have"
didnt know the grammar nazi's were out tonight... jk :lol:

thanks for the comment. I need to work on my grammar before law school.

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 am

bwv812 wrote:
you rebel scum wrote:a pretty big difference will be the number of your classmates who are crazy smart, crazy accomplished, or crazy both. going from a TTT undergrad to a T14 law school, this was pretty acute for me, but since law school is generally pretty hard to get into (and since people very often end up matriculating at a school that was a "reach" for them) i'd imagine this is a pretty universal "problem."
My problem is quite different; I often wonder how some of my classmates made it into law school. There's some serious stupidity that I didn't expect, and it has really made me see where Anna Ivey is coming from when she complains about Generation Y thinking they're super-special overachievers who can do no wrong. It's really annoying when patently stupid ideas, suggestions, and questions aren't beaten down by the professors but are quietly danced around as though they're valid or insightful.
haha, there are definitely some people who Just Shouldn't Be In Law School. what school do you go to?

my torts professor said that he was in the habit of straight-out flunking a few such people in his large section classes. his method of identifying an F exam was that imagining them giving their family and friends legal advice made him feel sick to his stomach. as it turned out, he actually petitioned to give two more honors grades than he was "supposed to," so the brimstone was for naught..

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 am

Calikat wrote:Depends on what your college major was. If it was science/eng then probably not too much. If it was underwater basketweaving (or poli sci, history, etc.), then probably huge.
I (still undergrad) was surprised by how much more work I did switching from math to econ. In math I almost always did the problem set the night before (ALL night before) and still managed to get by because classes had virtually no reading and no participation component whatsoever. Now I feel like I need to be on top of readings all the time or else I fall behind in class discussions, so I end up doing more work than I did in math. Then again, I like econ a lot more than math, so that may explain some of the difference. I wasn't really too enthusiastic about proving that X is a Cauchy sequence or Y converges to zero. I guess it's comforting to know law school is more similar to my "reading every day" experience.

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 am

Hopefully after your first UG Freshman English class, you and your new-found buddies didn't sit around arguing over the first story you read--like idiots. This will likely change in law school. Much like on here, you will continue to find yourself arguing about retarded shit.

And the non-LS bystanders will be amazed. :roll:

So make sure your law-turbo toned down.

Okay, not so much 'what's the difference?' as 'marginally good advice.'

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greygoose

Bronze

Post by greygoose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:12 am

even if your school has a sweet curve, don't expect to ride it without decent hard work. you need to do more leg work than in undergrad to achieve satisfactory grades. i dicked around for pretty much all semester and have decided that i need to brief to actually grasp the material adequately. it's different for each person, don't skate around just cuz you're in a T-14. Although plenty of people bottom 1/4 at lower T-10 get vault 100 jobs, it's never a great idea to short change your potential. i've made it a new year's resolution to work a bit harder just to create more options even if i don't choose to exercise them. *note the whole panic about jobs is a bit unfounded, if you don't do so well academically, work on your interview skills. don't ever underestimate the importance of speaking clearly with interesting tidbits about your life with interviewers. there are a lot of awkward, albeit very accomplished/smart people on this site who suck at interviews and fail to secure top employment. don't be one of them.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 am

remember how pumped this guy was about partying at uva?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:29 am

crystalhawkeye wrote: How about grammar? Is that important?
Not the least bit. People will tell you it is, and so will the school but its not. It's law school, not an english class, and I by far did worse in both my english classes in undergrad.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Not the least bit. People will tell you it is, and so will the school but its not. It's law school, not an english class, and I by far did worse in both my english classes in undergrad.
It's important if you want people to take you seriously as an educated person. No one will care what you know if you can't communicate it properly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
I think it depends on the professor. My Contracts prof last semester used to teach legal writing. He let us know before the final that grammar and organization mattered.

Even if you have a professor who claims not to care about grammar, a paper with a ton of errors is certainly not going to help you. I would think that most readers (whether professors or judges) tend to form a subtle bias against people whose writing is full of mistakes. It's harder to accept that someone's research and analysis is meticulous if they don't even bother to check their grammar.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I agree with you rebel scum--the biggest difference is that pretty much everyone in LS is smart. Also, everyone works hard and is ambitious. For those of us who did well in undergrad because half the class just wasn't paying attention, this can be a nasty surprise.

Also, the work load is much heavier than it was in UG (although I had a lot more reading in grad school). And the reading matters.

It's not a bad thing to go to school with a bunch of super-smart people. I'm learning a lot from my classmates.

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:13 pm

college is a fucking blast.

law school is absolutely horrible.

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:18 pm

there is pressure to do as much as everyone else is doing. everyone works super hard, and even though each law school will claim that its collegiality distinguishes it from other schools, it's still a competitive place.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”