OMG the Gunners Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RussianGirl

New

Re: OMG the Gunners

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

underdawg wrote:
gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.
great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

our gunner is back with a fucking vengeance btw
he-he-he-he... ohhh, law school talk :-)

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:45 pm

underdawg wrote:
gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.
great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

So is ours. I was borderline impressed at how the break re-energized her. They split our third section into the other two sections for a couple classes this semester. It was pretty entertaining to watch their section's gunner try and one-up the two established gunners in our class. I'm sure it will grow old soon, but for now it's at least worth a laugh or two.

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Definitely worth a laugh or two, but you really have to be concerned with your own ability to withstand irritation if it continues to bother you. I'm sure it's just funny "ha ha" for now, but then it should just become routine and expected.

Today was day one, so no gunslingers have emerged in the new configuration of classes. I have DE & Trusts every day, so one of the property nerds will start winning the war of attrition soon.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

So I have a funny gunner story and it's about myself :(

I want to preface in that I didn't mean to be a gunner AT ALL, but that it is official that my whole class now thinks that I am.

So in property we have a visiting professor, but he's never told us where he is visiting from. A guy that sits next to me in class said he tried to get it out of him, but he always avoided the question. SO, I get the bright idea to email him and ask him what school he used to teach at so that I can see if there are any old outlines or practice exams to look at.

THAT WAS A BAD IDEA!!

Because 1) he didn't actually tell me what school he used to teach at, and 2) now my whole class thinks that I'm starting my practice exams now.

So it is now official that if anyone were to play gunner bingo in our class, I would be the center square.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm

lishi wrote:So I have a funny gunner story and it's about myself :(

I want to preface in that I didn't mean to be a gunner AT ALL, but that it is official that my whole class now thinks that I am.

So in property we have a visiting professor, but he's never told us where he is visiting from. A guy that sits next to me in class said he tried to get it out of him, but he always avoided the question. SO, I get the bright idea to email him and ask him what school he used to teach at so that I can see if there are any old outlines or practice exams to look at.

THAT WAS A BAD IDEA!!

Because 1) he didn't actually tell me what school he used to teach at, and 2) now my whole class thinks that I'm starting my practice exams now.

So it is now official that if anyone were to play gunner bingo in our class, I would be the center square.
How did your whole class know you emailed him?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:31 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
underdawg wrote:
great definition

So is ours. I was borderline impressed at how the break re-energized her. They split our third section into the other two sections for a couple classes this semester. It was pretty entertaining to watch their section's gunner try and one-up the two established gunners in our class. I'm sure it will grow old soon, but for now it's at least worth a laugh or two.
The bolded line made me crack up.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:38 pm

In the email he wrote back to me he told me to bring it up to him at the end of class, so I did and I didn't actually use my brain and realize how that would make me look until the whole class turned around at me and just stared and started making jokes.

So it's completely my fault. I just wish that I actually decided to think before I spoke.

monkeywrench

New

Post by monkeywrench » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:38 pm

I love the sound of my voice and I have horrible self-image issues. As a 0L, I will be extremely offended if no one notices how awesome and inspiring my stories are come 1L. I may even solder elbow patches onto my tee-shirts.

lishi wrote:So it is now official that if anyone were to play gunner bingo in our class, I would be the center square.

I aim to be a whole row

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

monkeywrench wrote:I love the sound of my voice and I have horrible self-image issues. As a 0L, I will be extremely offended if no one notices how awesome and inspiring my stories are come 1L. I may even solder elbow patches onto my tee-shirts.

lishi wrote:So it is now official that if anyone were to play gunner bingo in our class, I would be the center square.

I aim to be a whole row
I hope we have class together.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

One thing about being a 2L is that it's you're constantly exposed to a whole new population of gunners. As a 1L, you get to know the gunners in your section. They're your own, personal gunners. You may never grow exactly fond of them, but your disdain is like a brotherly or sisterly disdain. They're part of of the family, even if they're a super annoying part. You're sort of used to them.

Now all of the sudden, as a 2L, with each new class you take, you are faced with brand new gunners with their own unique style of gunnerism. Some of these are people you thought were normal law students and are surprised to find out that underneath their veneer of normalcy lurks this obnoxious beast. Some of them are people you swear you've never seen before in your life, and now you cringe at the sight of their hands in the air. They will never be your gunners. They will always be the enemy.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Alexandria wrote:One thing about being a 2L is that it's you're constantly exposed to a whole new population of gunners. As a 1L, you get to know the gunners in your section. They're your own, personal gunners. You may never grow exactly fond of them, but your disdain is like a brotherly or sisterly disdain. They're part of of the family, even if they're a super annoying part. You're sort of used to them.

Now all of the sudden, as a 2L, with each new class you take, you are faced with brand new gunners with their own unique style of gunnerism. Some of these are people you thought were normal law students and are surprised to find out that underneath their veneer of normalcy lurks this obnoxious beast. Some of them are people you swear you've never seen before in your life, and now you cringe at the sight of their hands in the air. They will never be your gunners. They will always be the enemy.
Possibly one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time... :D

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Don't deny, the title of TLS princess = gunner

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Alexandria wrote:One thing about being a 2L is that it's you're constantly exposed to a whole new population of gunners. As a 1L, you get to know the gunners in your section. They're your own, personal gunners. You may never grow exactly fond of them, but your disdain is like a brotherly or sisterly disdain. They're part of of the family, even if they're a super annoying part. You're sort of used to them.

We have some effing superstars in 1A, no? OMG going to set them on fire! But Don is pretty good at shutting them down, and it'll only get funnier as the semester goes on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:48 pm

lishi wrote: Because 1) he didn't actually tell me what school he used to teach at, and 2) now my whole class thinks that I'm starting my practice exams now.
If you don't have haters in your life, you're doing something wrong

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:48 pm

I know. I love when one of them raises their hands, and he looks right at them and says, "New faces."

chunaa

New

Post by chunaa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm

the gunners and other people in my class seem to have become less aggressive this semester. They also seem more absent-minded.
Is it because I am better prepared now, so they look less intimidating?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Alexandria wrote:I know. I love when one of them raises their hands, and he looks right at them and says, "New faces."

ooooh, that's what we need!

I was thinking gunner bingo could totally have happened in crim today. A bunch of them sit together and they raised their hands and were called on in a line. It was crazytown.

Have any Michigan folks actually seen gunner bingo in action?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:47 pm

No, but that would be awesome. That said, I've never been in a class with enough gunners to fill up a bingo card.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:52 pm

from talking to other sections, my section's gunner is really famous

in my elective with other 1L's, i can tell that there's this other gunner. the prof handles it hilariously though by 1) never calling on him and 2) subtly deriding him in listserv e-mails. i saw him trying to ask the prof a question in the bathroom btw :!:

too bad gunners never pick up on semi-subtle social cues
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm

You know you're a gunner if....

you preface a comment in class with "I'm not sure if someone else said this, but...."

Yes you are. You heard it. You just couldn't think of anything else to say, but couldn't contain yourself.

I hate my evidence class.....

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm

chunaa wrote:the gunners and other people in my class seem to have become less aggressive this semester. They also seem more absent-minded.
Is it because I am better prepared now, so they look less intimidating?
They probably didn't do as well as they hoped.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 pm

I don't think we have any gunners really, but maybe I just don't know what one is. I suppose NY and AC talk the most, but they are neither obnoxiously well-informed nor obnoxiously ignorant. Some have claimed the Latin explanations guy, but it's not like he talks a lot.

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Hitachi wrote:I don't think we have any gunners really, but maybe I just don't know what one is. I suppose NY and AC talk the most, but they are neither obnoxiously well-informed nor obnoxiously ignorant. Some have claimed the Latin explanations guy, but it's not like he talks a lot.
NY is a freak of nature. She should take a hint when the professor begins to cut her off.

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Stupid question... are NY and AC specific people? Are y'all both at the same school? If so, do you mind sharing which one.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Like half of this board is in Michigan IJKL section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”