Dress Code for Orientation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
clevinger33

Bronze
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by clevinger33 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:I just found the pin I got for being a National Merit Scholarship Finalist in high school. I think I'll wear it for orientation. It should be a good conversation starter, and I want to make sure people know I'm not a person of low intellectual caliber.
HAHAHAHAH, do you have any AP Scholar Certificates from high school? Bring those too!
Sadly, I believe those were lost sometime in the last five years. I do, however, have the original copy of my PSAT scores. Would it be wise to shrink those down to business-card size and hand them out to everyone I meet? I also performed extremely well on the state mastery tests I took in 10th grade but I'm worried that those records might not impress a wide enough audience to be worth bringing/distributing. Thoughts?




(I did actually just find my National Merit Scholarship Finalist pin, as well as the accompanying framed certificate. Not really sure why I still have them, but I'm sure there's tons of other useless stuff - little league trophies, etc. - floating around my parents' houses)

User avatar
trialjunky

Silver
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by trialjunky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:59 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
sibley wrote:
Are you my dad?
No, but I can be your daddy. Is this what your looking for? Usually, there is a craiglist ad associated with this type of question.
SwollenMonkey outed as gdane

sibley

Gold
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by sibley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 pm

trialjunky wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
sibley wrote:
Are you my dad?
No, but I can be your daddy. Is this what your looking for? Usually, there is a craiglist ad associated with this type of question.
SwollenMonkey outed as gdane
No thank you. You just dress like him. But he's retired and lives in the Keys.

User avatar
Iconoclast

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:15 pm

sibley wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
sibley wrote:
Are you my dad?
No, but I can be your daddy. Is this what your looking for? Usually, there is a craiglist ad associated with this type of question.
SwollenMonkey outed as gdane
No thank you. You just dress like him. But he's retired and lives in the Keys.
psst, that wasn't me. :) Unless swollenmonkey also dresses like me... in which case I should reconsider my wardrobe....

02122015

Platinum
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by 02122015 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 pm

DC in August = I'm wearing shorts, flip flops, and t-shirts to most orientation events. This summer's weather here in Minneapolis has been hotter and more humid than usual (so it's like DC weather), and wearing long pants whatsoever is hell.

At orientation, we do have a couple of random evening reception deals, and for those I'll probably change into polos, black casual shoes, and nice jeans (I'm sorely lacking in anything above nice jeans and below dress pants).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
SwollenMonkey

Silver
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:21 pm

trialjunky wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
sibley wrote:
Are you my dad?
No, but I can be your daddy. Is this what your looking for? Usually, there is a craiglist ad associated with this type of question.
SwollenMonkey outed as gdane
What the hell is gdane?

User avatar
Kurt Cobain

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by Kurt Cobain » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:I can't believe this is a thread. Have people here never been to any sort of school orientation (say for maybe, I don't know, undergrad, maybe)? Did anyone wear a suit and tie to that orientation? Hell no, and if you did, you'd look like a total moron.

As much as this made me laugh, it's kind of pathetic that people treat law school as something so different from anything they've ever done that they would consider wearing something formal for orientation.

I mean srsly ppl c'mon :?
If you wouldn't have such a negative attitude, maybe you wouldn't have shot yourself.
Courtney Love shot me

User avatar
Kurt Cobain

Bronze
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by Kurt Cobain » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:35 am

clevinger33 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:I just found the pin I got for being a National Merit Scholarship Finalist in high school. I think I'll wear it for orientation. It should be a good conversation starter, and I want to make sure people know I'm not a person of low intellectual caliber.
HAHAHAHAH, do you have any AP Scholar Certificates from high school? Bring those too!
Sadly, I believe those were lost sometime in the last five years. I do, however, have the original copy of my PSAT scores. Would it be wise to shrink those down to business-card size and hand them out to everyone I meet? I also performed extremely well on the state mastery tests I took in 10th grade but I'm worried that those records might not impress a wide enough audience to be worth bringing/distributing. Thoughts?




(I did actually just find my National Merit Scholarship Finalist pin, as well as the accompanying framed certificate. Not really sure why I still have them, but I'm sure there's tons of other useless stuff - little league trophies, etc. - floating around my parents' houses)
PSAT scores are very relevant. I think the business card idea is fantastic. It will give your classmates a real sense of your intelligence. Make sure you include your phone number with some sort of tag line indicating that because you're so smart, you will be able to answer anyone's homework questions. It should make you extremely popular.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey

Silver
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:I can't believe this is a thread. Have people here never been to any sort of school orientation (say for maybe, I don't know, undergrad, maybe)? Did anyone wear a suit and tie to that orientation? Hell no, and if you did, you'd look like a total moron.

As much as this made me laugh, it's kind of pathetic that people treat law school as something so different from anything they've ever done that they would consider wearing something formal for orientation.

I mean srsly ppl c'mon :?
If you wouldn't have such a negative attitude, maybe you wouldn't have shot yourself.
Courtney Love shot me
FIFY
Courtney Love shot me up with heroine multiple times.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
thalassocrat

Bronze
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by thalassocrat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 am

clevinger33 wrote:I just found the pin I got for being a National Merit Scholarship Finalist in high school. I think I'll wear it for orientation. It should be a good conversation starter, and I want to make sure people know I'm not a person of low intellectual caliber.
You got a pin? :cry:

I'll probably be mostly wearing jeans/t-shirt/flip flops for my orientation. Closed toed shoes for our service day, skirt/blouse/etc for the one business casual thing. Maybe pull out the Bjork swan dress if I have occasion for it.

wpc1532

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by wpc1532 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Suits are mandatory for the group directory photo. Luckily, the photo is taken the first day. For the second day, it's all shorts and a shirt!

User avatar
SwollenMonkey

Silver
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:48 pm

wpc1532 wrote:Suits are mandatory for the group directory photo. Luckily, the photo is taken the first day. For the second day, it's all shorts and a shirt!
Wear a suit with shorts. You'll be the envy of all.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
smokyroom26

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:23 pm

MSPeast wrote:DC in August = I'm wearing shorts, flip flops, and t-shirts to most orientation events. This summer's weather here in Minneapolis has been hotter and more humid than usual (so it's like DC weather), and wearing long pants whatsoever is hell.

At orientation, we do have a couple of random evening reception deals, and for those I'll probably change into polos, black casual shoes, and nice jeans (I'm sorely lacking in anything above nice jeans and below dress pants).
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


liltay357

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by liltay357 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 am

Bump

User avatar
Bustang

Bronze
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by Bustang » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am

Holy shit there is a 5 page thread on this?

jarofsoup

Gold
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:48 am

I have one part of my orientation that is biz formal and the rest is casual

User avatar
birdlaw117

Gold
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 am

liltay357 wrote:Bump
Why would you ever bump this? Do you really need more people to come here and say it doesn't matter what you wear to orientation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Kobe_Teeth

Silver
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 am

How does this thread keep happening?

User avatar
cofc2008

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:29 am

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by cofc2008 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 am

Didn't read a single post yet, but I'm going through orientation right now and please don't be one of the two douches that wear suits everyday. They aren't even a year removed from college, don't have real jobs yet, but feel the need to wear a suit everyday...I just wanna slap 'em.

Oh, and don't be the creepy person wearing a light-colored trenchcoat...looks like you're gonna start shooting.

User avatar
inchoate_con

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Dress Code for Orientation

Post by inchoate_con » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 am

Okay... so if you're a douche and need to wear a suit. People that wear suits know the difference between a $99 and a $999+ suit. In fact, you look dumber wearing a cheap suit.

Just be yourself....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”