1L internships for T14 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
philo-sophia

Bronze

1L internships for T14

Post by philo-sophia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:09 pm

who offers them and how do you get them?

I know i want BigLaw, probably in NYC or LA (i used to say i wouldn't go back to NYC but i've started to miss it and i feel like that's where the action is...anyway...i digress). I have some work experience in finance and consulting and i'm going to Duke this fall. Are there BigLaw firms that are particularly conducive to hiring 1L's? My guess is that there will be some lower ranking firms who want to establish relationships with higher ranking schools and will therefore consider 1L's. I know Paul Hastings and White & Case accept 1L applications but W&C says it's rare that they hire 1L's. It would be particularly helpful if someone currently attending a lower T14 could offer some insights as to which firms i might want to start looking into for next year.

Also, is it easier or harder to get a 1L internship abroad? I was thinking about doing Duke's summer program in Hong Kong or Geneve and seeing if i could finish my summer with an internship in Asia or Europe. A friend of mine just moved into HR at Paul Hastings in Hong Kong so maybe she could help hook me up? Any thoughts or experience regarding such a scenario?

philo-sophia

Bronze

Re: 1L internships for T14

Post by philo-sophia » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:51 am

69 views and no responses? Somebody knows something and isn't talking...condor? Ken?

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:43 pm

This isn't rocket science. Most firms, and especially the big boys, are not going to hire 1Ls. It may help if your grades are good. But the fact is that a lot of the large firms don't want to take 1Ls because they want a return on their investment. They pay 2L summer associates what they do because they know they will have them for at least the next two years after they graduate, and make them work absurd hours, etc... With a surplus of 2Ls looking for jobs at the top firms, there is no incentive for a firm to hire a summer 1L who will likely just go to a different firm the next summer. I don't think that the t14 is the magic ticket for summer 1L that it is for summer 2L; I think it could certainly help, but it's no guarantee, especially if you don't have the grades or connections to make it worth their while. The truth is that while it would certainly be impressive to have a 1L summer associateship at a great firm, it's not necessary. Just get some relevant legal experience your 1L summer (preferably in an subject or area that interests you) and you'll be fine.

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:46 pm

^^yeah...i kinda want the money though :)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:02 pm

You just shouldn't get your hopes up about a big-paying 1L summer associateship. It's certainly possible that you will get one. But lots of people want them who don't get them at T14s. Factors that help: URM status, STRONG ties to a particular small market (just mean in terms of being from there, etc., not specifically ties to the legal market), good grades (but they probably won't even ask for your grades unless they think you're serious about the market).

On the other hand, I had a really easy time finding a summer job at a European office of an American firm. They don't have a summer associate program, but I make enough to live on, and I'm having a blast. Strong language skills definitely help in getting the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:15 pm

^^yeah i'm thinking about two possible routes for this coming summer; Philadelphia or abroad. I'm from the philly suburbs and truly would consider working for Morgan Lewis or Dechert one day. That said, i don't know if i'd be willing to commit to a 2L summer in philly. I might make my pitch to them saying that there's a good chance i'll want to come back to philly one day and if i do, it'll probably be to one of those firms, but that i want to start out in NYC/LA. An appeal to both those firms is that they have offices in the major markets as well as philly. I also might have some sort of friend of a friend of a friend who could be a connection.

As for going abroad, i just don't know anything about how to go about that. My pitch would probably be similar...i.e. tell a firm like Linklaters that i'd like to spend 1L summer in London and if i like it i'd likely return for 2L in NYC.

lizzels

New

Post by lizzels » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:52 pm

so if I want a SA position in Baltimore (I'm going to GULC) and I lived and worked in Baltimore for 4 years post-college, own my house in Baltimore, and am commuting to DC for law school from Baltimore, do you think those factors would demonstrate my commitment to the market enough to sway the firms?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Well what if I want to work at a NYC firm and want to live in NYC after graduation? Can't a LOT of people say the same thing?
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:10 pm

underdawg wrote:Well what if I want to work at a NYC firm and want to live in NYC after graduation? Can't a LOT of people say the same thing?
From what I know, NYC is a different animal.

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:31 pm

^Exactly Baltimore != NYC.

Not to be offensive, but not many people self select into cities like Baltimore coming from T14 schools.

lizzels

New

Post by lizzels » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:34 pm

zeezoo wrote:^Exactly Baltimore != NYC.

Not to be offensive, but not many people self select into cities like Baltimore coming from T14 schools.
I know, not many people think of Baltimore when they think of a good place for a young professional to live. I sort of ended up here by accident, but now I love it here and don't want to leave.

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Alexandria wrote:You just shouldn't get your hopes up about a big-paying 1L summer associateship. It's certainly possible that you will get one. But lots of people want them who don't get them at T14s. Factors that help: URM status, STRONG ties to a particular small market (just mean in terms of being from there, etc., not specifically ties to the legal market), good grades (but they probably won't even ask for your grades unless they think you're serious about the market).

On the other hand, I had a really easy time finding a summer job at a European office of an American firm. They don't have a summer associate program, but I make enough to live on, and I'm having a blast. Strong language skills definitely help in getting the job.
So, do you think i could strike a deal with Linklaters, Paul Hastings, etc...to work in London or Hong Kong for the summer for like half salary (just enough to house and feed myself)? That would be a great international experience as well as a way to begin getting to know a firm that i really may want to work for...this is especially true of Linklaters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 am

I don't know exactly what you mean by "striking a deal." But anyway, I just worked through my school's alumni network. I sent resumes and cover letters by email to five places here... three through nalp and two through my law school's alumni network. Guess which two offered me jobs.

justingeist

New

Post by justingeist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 am

I've got my eye on mid-size firms in my relatively small hometown for 1L summer. A handful of NLJ 250 firms have satellite offices here, too, with just a dozen or so attorneys. Those might be good prospects.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justingeist

New

Post by justingeist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:52 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
justingeist wrote:I've got my eye on mid-size firms in my relatively small hometown for 1L summer. A handful of NLJ 250 firms have satellite offices here, too, with just a dozen or so attorneys. Those might be good prospects.
Those are actually pretty close to idea prospects. Wouldn't hurt to start talking to them now-ish if you have time to kill and you're comfortable trying to connect with them.
I'm applying in the next cycle, so maybe I should wait until I have at least one acceptance letter in hand. But I like the idea of reaching out to their hiring partner/recruiter as soon as I have a rough idea where I'll be attending in Fall 2009. Thanks!
Last edited by justingeist on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eremite

New

Post by Eremite » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:54 pm

^^yeah...i kinda want the money though
Make sure to mention this in the interview. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”