Is skipping classes in law school dangerous? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Never attending law school classes is:

Total votes: 0

sbjohnsn

New

Re: Is skipping classes in law school dangerous?

Post by sbjohnsn » Sun May 18, 2008 11:13 am

I guess in the end it just depends on the teacher and what you think you are getting out of class. Almost every time I walked out of a class, I felt like I learned something or that I understood a particular concept better. If I had had crappy teachers, I probably would have felt differently. It just comes down to the particular teacher and the particular class. Giong to class worked well for me, but if it didn't work for you and you feel like you have better things to do, then go ahead and gamble with your grade.

kritiosboy

New

Post by kritiosboy » Sun May 18, 2008 11:29 am

what is described in the op worked well for the guy who wrote the "how to do well in law school" article on this site. I imagine I'd do what he did, as well as prep for class for my first two years of ls. If I have a job going into 3L, then I'm going to live in cancun for a couple weeks each semester, a la Tucker Max.

As for "paying too much to not go to class": I think you guys are missing the primary point of law school. It's about getting a job, not about learning anything.

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 am

Caribelita, is it possible, do you think, that your friends were just intellectually superior and would've gotten top grades whatever they did? It's hard to believe that for most people success would be so unrelated to attending class.

No, I don't think that it's a function of them being "intellectually superior" :)--for several reasons which I will not mention. I think it's a function of them having realized something that many law school students haven't. In fact, my friend who got all A's in his class the 2nd semester was SO interested in the results that he did some research and found out that studies have shown, time and time again, that the Socratic Method employed in law school classrooms is one of the most inefficient, ineffective, and sometimes even detrimental methods of teaching used in academia today.

Now, I'm not saying that we can change this -- because clearly law schools aren't going to give up on their precious little tradition of using the Socratic Method anytime soon. The only thing that I care about is figuring out whether to give up on the system and take things into my own hands or give it a second chance.
It's a real indictment of either the teaching or the system if it's true. In most other academic areas as far as I know doing and understanding the assigned work is what would lead to success.
It's true in most academic areas --- but the law is special (and I hope that you've noticed this thus far in your legal education). It's not about memorizing and regurgitating for the exam. It goes FAR beyond that. In this way, it can be likened to engineering, where the application is what counts. Therefore, when the Socratic Method and casebooks do an extremely poor job of preparing you for what's actually on law school exams and what lawyers are actually supposed to do in practice, why wouldn't you question it? Why would you just assume that it's the right thing to do? ----Especially when NOT doing this has worked so well for others.

[Bear in mind that I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, as I'm not entirely convinced that I'll have the guts to skip class---partly since I've always been a "good student" and have attended all of my classes. But I'm still in the considering stage.]

Motoxer52

New

Post by Motoxer52 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:09 pm

I am an undergrad, and therefore posses no expertise in this department, however
a close family friend of mine graduated HLS in 1998. He is now a practicing attorney in Los Angeles and wrote a book about his "experience" at HLS. It is called Brush with the Law, and in no way am I promoting the purchase of this book. It provides a stark contrast to the common perception of law school. This book is not for everybody, and I was advised not to adopt the same "study habits" as the authors did. http://www.amazon.com/Brush-Law-Robert- ... 772&sr=8-1

To the OP: While this may be outdated a bit, I think it will answer all of your questions (Going to class is a waste of time). However, I do believe that people learn differently and the question you pose can only be answered by yourself.

dat_raw_n_tellect

New

Post by dat_raw_n_tellect » Sun May 18, 2008 1:33 pm

the Socratic Method employed in law school classrooms is one of the most inefficient, ineffective, and sometimes even detrimental methods of teaching used in academia today.
I can DEFINITELY see this being true! The Socratic Method is a good way to get us to read...but as far as presenting (for lack of a better word) topics and their elements...it kind of sucks. I especially feel this way when it is not clear if the answer the student is giving is completely correct or not or when the professor gives hypos and does not indicate which answer that has been given is more plausible. I believe law school could sooooooooooooooooo be taught in a more efficient way, but I guess that would take the fun out of things huh? :?
As for "paying too much to not go to class": I think you guys are missing the primary point of law school. It's about getting a job, not about learning anything.
Sorry...have to disagree with this. I am not sure if you are in law school or not, but I, personally, think I pay way too much to not go to class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

playhero

New

Post by playhero » Sun May 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Even though I've never attended law school it probably depends on the professor. Some professors will penalize you for not attending, some will not. Some will drop jewels of information on a daily bases while some will boar you to death with off topic interests of their lives.

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Just to make this clear: I also disagree with the above statement. I'm definitely attending law school to learn 'something'--I'm just not sure whether or not that 'something' is best learned through class-time in black-letter law courses taught using the Socratic Method.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sun May 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Even I wouldn't miss all your classes. miss 1/4-1/3% - meh no big deal. Depends on the class though. Torts is real easy to make up. Con-law? No way.

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Last edited by 00TREX00 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 pm

I voted for option 3. There is this one class that the professor is not only not helpful but often counterproductive(in the sense that I would understand something from doing the reading before class and be totally confused about it walking out of class). After class, we would all talk about how there really is no risk of any benefits from going to this class, but ultimately none of us have the cojones to just not go.

standre2008

New

Post by standre2008 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Going to class during undergrad has been a struggle for me because 99% of the time, I didn't need to. I'm going to seriously have to break out of this habit unless theres enough feedback from the others on this topic saying it really isn't that crucial.

So keep them coming!!

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Having to attend class on a regular basis is going to be a different thing for me, as well. I'm under the impression that the profs at Madison do put a certain amount of emphasis on class participation and attendance, so I won't be able to repeat my undergraduate habits.

locomotion

New

Post by locomotion » Sun May 18, 2008 11:47 pm

So why not take online classess, then they wouldn't have to worry about actually going to class :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 am

AVSexton

New

Post by AVSexton » Mon May 19, 2008 12:40 am

Corsair wrote:I figure so much of your career for the next few years is based on how you do in law school, especially the first year, why would ANYONE intentionally not go to class?

This is what will make the difference for me. Undergrad certainly didn't have the same "doom and gloom if you don't excel" aspect to it that Law School does, particularly where I'm going.

SecondTimeAround

New

Post by SecondTimeAround » Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 pm

I figure so much of your career for the next few years is based on how you do in law school, especially the first year, why would ANYONE intentionally not go to class?
But if by not going to class you could get straight As, and if by going to class you couldn't get straight As (because you wouldn't have time to do the other crap that for most people getting straight As requires) but could make yourself a better lawyer and thinker by absorbing the professor's methods, which would you choose?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Mon May 19, 2008 2:22 pm

?
Last edited by snotrocket on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed May 21, 2008 2:32 pm

00TREX00 wrote:I am an 0-L, but I'm planning on employing my undergrad strategy and I'm not very worried about it. This strategy consists of going to a minimal amount of class, keeping up with the reading, and working my ass off at the end of semesters. This is a pretty common undergrad strategy, and it worked well for me because I rarely have the patience to absorb a lot of information in class. Maybe I'll get slammed my first semester, but its what I know, and its worked for me thus far.
Class > Reading, imo.

you can get 95% of the reading from in class discussion + a 4 line summary in an outline

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”