School supplies Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
M20009

Bronze

School supplies

Post by M20009 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Just asking all you students what school supplies I should order before I quit my job. How many binders, boxes of printer paper, etc.

nonunique

New

Re: School supplies

Post by nonunique » Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Go to your nearest Office Depot and buy the whole store. Live there.

If not that, if you're planning on using your computer for most everything (which you can), you'll only be needing pens/highlighters and maybe some of the post-it flags.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue May 06, 2008 8:38 pm

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 pm

If one package of highlighters contains some 25 highlighters, then that's about right.

Plus some paper.

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 pm

nonunique wrote:Go to your nearest Office Depot and buy the whole store. Live there.

If not that, if you're planning on using your computer for most everything (which you can), you'll only be needing pens/highlighters and maybe some of the post-it flags.
Is Staples OK?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Is paper necessary? Can you submit stuff electronically/is printing free?

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Is paper necessary? Can you submit stuff electronically/is printing free?
Sometimes you can submit stuff electronically, sometimes you can't. Whether printing is free depends on the school, I think. (At my school we have a quota.)

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 pm

1. At least 20 highlighters.
2. Get a couple of jump drives/USB drives/whatever you want to call them. You're going to be needing to back up files all over the place in case of computer failure, plus you might have to use different computers to print stuff, etc... Always a good idea to have your notes backed up and saved in a few places other then just on your computer.
3. My school makes you pay to print, so expect that most of your money will go to printing costs and books.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Hell yeah to raiding the office supply closet before leaving. I'll probably grab a box of shit in the next month or so. Mostly it's stuff that come with habits I've developed on the job. I tend to use in-depth binders so some 5th cut tabs and labels (those things I found out are about $20/pack.). I've found colored flags useful as well.

Probably the usual assortment of binder clips for printouts and such if you're used to them. I think I'd not nuts without one in reach at all times on my desk.

I could see a good hole-punch coming in handy as well. We got some new ones at the office, better than the old-school ones, so I'll probably grab one of those.

I guess it's easy for me to indulge any stupid whim because it will all be free.

And yeah to hard drives. A nice big one like 1 or 2GB so you dont have to worry once you load it with downloads and stuff. Or go for the gusto and get a Western Digital 320GB passport. It's basically a giant jump drive and it's absolutely awesome. it's about the size of an iPhone. If your IT doesn't log them or anything, POOF.

EDIT: Anyone who says, Hey you shouldn't do that, all I have to say is two trials, $1000 bonus for each, gone because I'm not here when they do bonuses. The little shits who were there 3 weeks and worked the case I did 2 years on?? Yeah, they'll be getting their dough....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

littlebit

New

Post by littlebit » Tue May 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey, you shouldn't do that. Everyone cuts their own deal - yours didn't include the proper timing but that doesn't justify selling your soul for $50 worth of supplies.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 9:59 pm

You're going to have fun with ethics.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 pm

I'd argue that it's more unethical to bill me out at $200/hour in the first place and have me make binders that essentially cost upwards of $500 in labor & supplies. (You may not know it, but if you're someone who likes specific types of binders, nothing fancy, just a regular 3-ring in a specific size, I've found out you can blow the aforementioned $50 on two of them, FYI. At cost.)

2,000 hours * $200= $400,000 (My yearly revenue for my firm as a paralegal)

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:You're going to have fun with ethics.
I'll give you something to have fun with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 pm

nonunique wrote:Go to your nearest Office Depot and buy the whole store. Live there.

What do you highlight and flag? And after you highlight it, doesn't it need to go into a folder or binder?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Books. Might be handy for class so you can jump around pretty easy using little notes you wrote on the flags. Or for jumping around your outline if you're not like Aljfr (whose outlines look unreal, btw).

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 pm

FWIW, I wasn't advocating stealing from the company (like the USB drives), I was just listing things that are probably most important. How you get them is up to you.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 10:49 pm

I think of it as borrowing, say, a tissue. Sure you could give it back when you're done, but would anyone really want it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 10:54 pm

I'd argue that it's more unethical... blah blah blah business practices
IDK what to make of this argument. Are you saying because you think the company business practices are more unethical than stealing supplies from the company that therefore stealing from the company is okay? Because it's "less unethical"? The bottom line is that it is still unethical.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Lawyers "steal" meals and hotel rooms, etc. I "steal" supplies. In the end, we all get what we want or perceive we need. It's basically a game of fuck the client in my experience, and yeah, I, cash-strapped law student will save a nice chunk of change by being immoral, not unethical.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Delete that mess Bilko!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 pm

You don't have any real supplies, if you don't have this:
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 pm

SgtBilko wrote:Lawyers "steal" meals and hotel rooms, etc. I "steal" supplies. In the end, we all get what we want or perceive we need. It's basically a game of fuck the client in my experience, and yeah, I, cash-strapped law student will save a nice chunk of change by being immoral, not unethical.
Please explain some more how stealing is ethical. I am still not following the reasoning here.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Ethical

adjective
1. of or relating to the philosophical study of ethics; "ethical codes"; "ethical theories"
2. conforming to accepted standards of social or professional behavior; "an ethical lawyer"; "ethical medical practice"; "an ethical problem"; "had no ethical objection to drinking"; "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants"
I'd say definition 2 is interpreted quite loosely according to what I've described.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Stealing is an acceptable social or professional behavior? Really?

Are you saying because it seems acceptable to the people around you that therefore it is fundamentally acceptable for you to do it as well?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue May 06, 2008 11:37 pm

I like euphemisms. You call it stealing, I think of it as miking the company teet. You think of it as separate from me, I think of it as conforming to the accepted standards of professional behavior I see around me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”