Value of Publishing a LR Student Note Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UndyingArtichoke

New

Value of Publishing a LR Student Note

Post by UndyingArtichoke » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:01 am

2L here. I have to submit a note draft for Law Review but it doesn't have to be good. I'm looking for something to take off my plate in the coming weeks and semester, so if getting a note published doesn't matter for my goals, I'd be inclined to take it easy here.

Why does publication matter or not matter in general? In terms of my goals, there's 0% chance I want to be a legal academic, and I probably don't want to clerk since I'm committed to corporate BigLaw. However, the way people describe clerking makes it seem like I would enjoy it. This could be a good option in case there's a mega-recession and my firm doesn't work out for the moment, and I'm interested in more corporate-heavy courts. That being said, my current note proposal isn't corporate-focused.

So what would you all advise?

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Value of Publishing a LR Student Note

Post by talons2250 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 am

UndyingArtichoke wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:01 am
2L here. I have to submit a note draft for Law Review but it doesn't have to be good. I'm looking for something to take off my plate in the coming weeks and semester, so if getting a note published doesn't matter for my goals, I'd be inclined to take it easy here.

Why does publication matter or not matter in general? In terms of my goals, there's 0% chance I want to be a legal academic, and I probably don't want to clerk since I'm committed to corporate BigLaw. However, the way people describe clerking makes it seem like I would enjoy it. This could be a good option in case there's a mega-recession and my firm doesn't work out for the moment, and I'm interested in more corporate-heavy courts. That being said, my current note proposal isn't corporate-focused.

So what would you all advise?
What tier school do you go to and what tier/type of firm are you committed to? That would be helpful context.

If you're not genuinely interested in publishing a note, don't. And if you know you want to do transactional, then don't clerk. Even if you would enjoy clerking, that's a year that other corporate associates will be developing critical skills. You, on the other hand, will be doing legal research and writing and cultivating litigation skills that you'll never use in transactional practice. Clerking can be an interesting and potentially enjoyable job, but it's a waste if you know you're not going to do litigation.

UndyingArtichoke

New

Re: Value of Publishing a LR Student Note

Post by UndyingArtichoke » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:40 pm

I go to a T14 and I'm headed to a V10.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”