How much does Big Law care about a lower 2nd semester GPA? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pipepen

New

How much does Big Law care about a lower 2nd semester GPA?

Post by pipepen » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:03 pm

I'm at a T100 but finished with a 4.0+ GPA my first 1L semester and have a Big Law SA position for the summer. My goal is to get invited back for 2L summer, and then get hired as an associate, but I'm worried about my second-semester grades.

I've been very busy with work (part-time) and family this semester and just haven't had as much time for law school. I worry my GPA will take a hit. Will a large decline in GPA preclude me from getting invited back for 2L summer? Does my performance over the summer/ whether people at the office like me matter more?

Appreciate your advice!

cavalier1138

Re: How much does Big Law care about a lower 2nd semester GPA?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm not sure how 1L SAs handle return offers, but lower second semester grades can certainly impact your ability to get offers anywhere else for your 2L summer.

But why are you working during school? If you aren't enrolled in a part-time program, you're risking a six-figure salary after graduation on what I assume is not very much money.

pipepen

New

Post by pipepen » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:37 pm
I'm not sure how 1L SAs handle return offers, but lower second semester grades can certainly impact your ability to get offers anywhere else for your 2L summer.

But why are you working during school? If you aren't enrolled in a part-time program, you're risking a six-figure salary after graduation on what I assume is not very much money.
Appreciate the reply.

I work at a family business, and my role isn't easily delegated.

I don't anticipate any disasters, but I wouldn't be surprised if my grades slipped a bit. Just trying to get a sense of how low is too low.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:51 pm

I don't think anyone will be able to give you precise answers on how low is "too low" for you.

But separately, it might be a good time to start talking to your family about transitioning you out of the business. It sounds like the plan is not for you to become in-house counsel after graduation, so the business probably needs to figure out how to fill your role before you take off for a summer associate position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”