transferring after 2L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sayamk

New

transferring after 2L

Post by sayamk » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a 2L. Originally, I wanted to do study abroad but many programs were canceled over covid. I spent my entire 1L learning over zoom and partial 2L on zoon again. I learn better in person and found out that many law schools abroad are now open in person. One of which is partnered with my law school. I talked to my school and they're not going to let me exchange because my grades didn't meet the threshold. I feel my learning experience would be much better abroad because at least it's all in person, where I get to interact in an organic way. My law school doesn't take into account how zoom learning wasn't for me. There is chance that zoom learning would be back and I don't want that to ruin my last year in law school again (it was sad and lonely). Anyway, I could transfer instead for 3L and then graduate from my law school?

Thanks!

nixy

Gold

Re: transferring after 2L

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:56 pm

You can't transfer for 3L because schools only accept transfers for 2L & 3L. But transferring would mean leaving your school and becoming a student of, and graduating from, the school you transfer to, which is why there's a 2-year requirement.

You can be a visiting student at another school for your 3L year. You go study at another school for the year, but you get your degree from your original school. I don't know what the requirements are for this, if there are grade cutoffs or how demanding the application is or what, but it exists. I think it's only for other US, ABA-accredited schools, though, and I'm not sure how you'd guarantee a US school wouldn't shut down for covid again (I mean, I'm really hopeful that schools will all be in person next academic year, but there's just know way to know for certain - not even for schools abroad, probably). Look into schools that interest you and search for their visiting student programs.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”