HLS Percentile? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sillygoose123

New

HLS Percentile?

Post by sillygoose123 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:08 pm

Hello! Got my grades today: 1 H, 4 P's. Does anyone know what percentile this is? I've heard it's about median.

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: HLS Percentile?

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:07 am

3-4 Hs is median on the year, so having only one in your first semester puts you below median. Don't sweat it, though. Focus on improving for next semester. At OCI, your interviewers will just be counting Hs (not the distribution thereof). You will be fine for standard NY Biglaw if you can pick up a few more Hs.

LawBurner1

New

Re: HLS Percentile?

Post by LawBurner1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:39 pm

A bit below median.

BUT

1) You've got half your 1L left, and it's not at all uncommon for people who do great one semester to do not as great another. Maybe it's overconfidence, maybe it's grasping some subjects better, maybe it's just the variance that comes with squeezing 75 similarly bright students onto a curve where almost everyone is an H or a P.

2) Grades definitely open and close a few doors (e.g. whether you'll be competitive in a market like DC, whether you'll get a callback at Wachtell) but by and large, you can make out like a bandit at OCI without stellar grades. I have multiple friends who landed a ton of well-regarded offers with straight Ps or close to it (they happen to be really nice people who would definitely come across well in an interview.)

And obviously, you can also turn around and get straight Hs in the spring (see point 1) and point 2 becomes entirely moot!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”