Summer position advice? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
luwian

New

Summer position advice?

Post by luwian » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Hi, I am an experienced overseas attorney with 10 years practice experience and I am now an international advanced standing 1L JD student. My ultimate goal is being a partner in a law firm by capital contribution after a few years of experience in the USA.

Because I am an advanced standing student, this summer is the only summer for me to work in a summer position. So, I am trying to make the best decision for my career.

I believe that I can easily find an optional practical training opportunity at a law firm after graduation. Therefore, I think working with a judge in a Courthouse would be better for me this summer. What summer position would you recommend for me, a judicial or law firm position?

And I open to all kind of recommendations.

Thank you

cavalier1138

Re: Summer position advice?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 am

If you want to be a corporate lawyer in the US (and I assume you already are one in your own country), working for a judge will not be that helpful for your career. Unless I'm missing something about your specific practice area that involves litigation, you should work at a firm.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”