1L with issues. Time to leave? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Allegro3935

New

1L with issues. Time to leave?

Post by Allegro3935 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 pm

I didn't know who else to talk to about this. I came to law school b/c I had a mild interest in law, and I did well enough on the lsat to get a full tuition+stipend at a regional school. I'm far from home, though my parents still support me. I'll have 0 debt whatever happens.

Anyway, I've become really depressed since coming here (maybe it's homesickness, but idk). I rarely understand what I read in my casebooks, particularly civ pro. No idea what the professor's talking about half the time. All of my classmates have their own little groups of friends already; I can't seem to find anyone to hang out or study with, so I'm on my own. I go home after class, study there, eat a peanut butter sandwich for dinner, and then drink beer till I fall asleep. Really, all my classmates are so smart. I feel utterly incompetent when I hear their answers to cold calls-they know everything while I can't even recall the basic facts. I'm trying my best and it's not good enough.

Around last month I had a meltdown. I started having thoughts of ending my life. Really, what's the point: no one will hire me for more than 30k for my useless fucking bachelors degree, I have no skills, and this law school thing isn't working out so far. I'm not good at anything else. I was hoping that getting a JD would just help my earning potential. Is there a point to staying in law school? I feel forced to be here b/c my liberal arts degree is not helping, and maybe a JD on its own will help my find a job that pays over 50k so that I can live away from home and not starve.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Re: 1L with issues. Time to leave?

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 am

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re having a difficult time. Law school is not fun for most people, including myself, by any stretch of the imagination. For what it’s worth, here’s my advice:

(1) Please talk to a therapist or counselor through your school or elsewhere. It sounds like there are deeper emotional issues, and you need to talk to an actual flesh-and-blood person, not anonymous people on the Internet.

(2) Talk to a counselor at your school. They can point you to resources that can help you.

(3) Talk to your professors in the classes you’re struggling in. Request a meeting so you can talk about the class and try to figure out why it isn’t clicking. Because it’s almost the end of the semester, this should happen soon.

(4) If you think a study group will help, ask your classmates. I know it may seem hard to put yourself out there, but you’ve got nothing to lose.

(5) Try to study at school, a coffee shop, or a public space, if possible. If being alone at home is a struggle, put yourself around other people.

Law school was a uniquely horrible experience for me (I graduate in a month), but I’m excited for what’s coming next. The difficulty is that you’re at the beginning so you’ve got no idea what’s coming next. From the perspective of 1L fall, law school seems like a dark, bottomless hole. Things will become clearer over time. Ultimately, any legal career on the other side of graduation will be vastly different than what you’re doing in law school now.

However, if you really believe it’s not something you want to pursue, then please don’t feel any shame in pulling out. If you talk to some people and try to see if things can work out, but it looks like law school isn’t the right choice, walk away. Your happiness and your mental and physical health isn’t worth going to law school or an unhappy career.

You’re not a failure for putting yourself out there and trying. You’ve proven you’re smart already, and you’ll find something that interests you, even if it isn’t law.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 1L with issues. Time to leave?

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:34 am

I liked school- it was fine. I much more enjoy the practice of law. I support everything the OP stated.
Also, I didn't understand civ pro and it was my lowest grade in law school (and I didn't graduate at the top of my class either and I also went to a regional). Buy freer's happy guide to civ pro. Buy those stupid supplements that are for dummies to at least get your feet wet if the content is tough. You've got a full scholarhsip to a regional (hopefully in the region you want to practice) don't worry os much- even about grades. Go intern with folks- during my 1L I interned with the PD and ADA. I joined a DnD group as well. Find groups on campus- I had friends do req rugby, anime club.
Breathe- also, if you don't like the location you can try and xfer bakc home if possible. But I think finding a group of friends (whether in school or outside of it) will be supremely helpful- also, see a therapist if you can on school/ counselor- should help clear your mind.
I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry you're struggling.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”