School did not sent out letter of good standing when applying for transfer? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Katerina_1005

New

School did not sent out letter of good standing when applying for transfer?

Post by Katerina_1005 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:28 am

I went to a top 25 law school with the idea that I will transfer after 1L year and I applied to 10 schools in the summer. But apparently my law school did not send out my letter of good standing. I only realized that when my friend at another law school saying his friends who attempted to transfer have all gotten some kind of decisions and that's when I realized my applications were incomplete (end of July).

You might thought how I could not have realized that my school did not send out the letters. That's because HLS informed shortly after my request that my law school sent them a blank form. After I asked my school to fixed it, I did not received any such letters from other law schools and I assumed that this is a one- time mistake. But apparently they just did not sent out the letters at all to the rest of the schools.

After my new request, the LOGRs were received by other schools by July. Some schools like NW just straight up told me they had a full class. Some schools said they are full but offer me waitlist. But I did not get to transfer after all.

So it's 1k bucks went to waste and I am stuck at a law school that I am so angry at right now. I am here but I am just so unhappy all the time. Especially when I met some new students who transferred to my school told me they only need a 3.2+ gpa to get in. I want to sue the school but I don't even know what I should sue it for. It's not like it's for sure I can transfer to another school.

I guess I just want to share my experience to warn anyone considers transfer in the future. And it's 4am in the morning and I just cannot sleep every time I think about that I am going to stuck here for 2 more years and this school is going to stuck on my resume forever.

cavalier1138

Re: School did not sent out letter of good standing when applying for transfer?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:57 am

It sounds like you're already at a good school (even though you entered with the hare-brained intention to transfer), so not sure why you're upset about being "stuck" there for two more years. It's also not clear that you would have been able to make a worthwhile transfer even with the correct paperwork.

I appreciate a good rant as much as the next guy, but this is mostly on you. It was your decision to attend this school, and you were the one who dropped the ball on making sure your applications were complete. Take it as a lesson on being thorough for when your actions are going to have an effect on clients, not just you.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Re: School did not sent out letter of good standing when applying for transfer?

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:44 pm

This may be cold-comfort at the moment, but you're still at a T25, with grades good enough that you thought you were in a position to transfer up, which should set you up well enough going forward. However, you never should've gone to a school intending to transfer, and failing to follow up with your school to make sure everything was sent out correctly is entirely on you, not the school. If you're upset that "this school is going to [be] stuck on my resume forever", then you shouldn't have gone in the first place. So you can learn a lesson about diligence, and where to properly place blame when things go wrong.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”