Is this unauthorized practice of law? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nixy

Gold

Re: Is this unauthorized practice of law?

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm

I really don't think your employer's GC saying that they need to make sure nothing you're doing counts as UPL is at all responsive to the law school/bar app question. Normally applicants need to be told to err on the side of candor, so it's good that you're being as frank as possible, but I don't think you need to bring this up at all.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 am

Agree that you're overthinking this. There's nothing to disclose here.

(*not legal advice* And for what it's worth, I'm aware of numerous jurisdictions where what you're doing is normal. I actually think there's a colorable argument that prosecutors shouldn't be touching warrants at all, since the LEO is the one signing the thing.)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:38 am

Some professions engage in UPL on such a massive scale that jurisdictions overlook the issue after the state of Texas was outspent by the Big 6 accounting firms in its effort to curtail their daily engagement in the UPL.

Real estate agents & tax accountants/CPAs & police officers seem to get a pass on routine UPL practices. Occasionally, a disgruntled employee will file a complaint with a state bar alleging UPL which then triggers an investigation.

Based on the scant information contained in this thread, it suggests that one may have crossed even the acceptable line of daily routine practice of UPL for a certain occupation in the relevant jurisdiction. It might be wise to review any employment file.

As for your concerns,consulting with a properly licensed ethics attorney is the appropriate & safest course of action.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”