Modifications for time zone differences Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
js1010

New

Modifications for time zone differences

Post by js1010 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:18 pm

All,

I am curious if any of the institutions in which you attend had any resources or additional options for studing in different time zones. My school is on eastern standard time and I am located on the west coast and althrough three hours does not seem significant it becomes very detrimental when you are a parent. At 9 or 10am on the east coast when my professors and fellow class mates studying in eastern standard time are in class they have had the opportunity to get their kids to school those of us on the west coast are in a bit of a conundrum as it is during the time when I need to get a child to daycare (the daycare doesn't open at 5:30am nor would I want to take a 3 year old to school at that time). My school never reached out directly nor offered any resources for people in different time zones but every class still had mandatory attendance requirements which was super disappointing. I am curious if this was the same or different with your universities and if anyone had any similar experiences.

cavalier1138

Re: Modifications for time zone differences

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 am

I'd be very surprised if this was standard. No one is anticipating that classes will be remote forever, so I think it's somewhat reasonable for schools to expect students to be in the area.

That said, it's also reasonable for schools to anticipate that some people want to be in different locations during the pandemic (e.g. getting the hell out of New York was popular last year), so I'd expect them to be willing to make accommodations on an individual basis. Have you spoken to any of your early-class professors about an attendance accommodation that would work for you?

And after typing all that, I just realized that it's mid-May. So finals are over/finishing everywhere except UChi and Stanford. Where is this still an issue?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”