Doubting my locations preferences for OCI screenings.... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
letstalk

New

Doubting my locations preferences for OCI screenings....

Post by letstalk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:18 pm

So I just finished up my screening interviews... I'm at a nonT14 school in DC and happened to only get interviews from firms hiring for multiple locations (DC + other locations). The firms just hiring for the DC office rejected me... I don't know why DC doesn't like me...

Anyways, the interviewers (most of which were DC partners) asked about my location preferences and being the dumb person I am, I expressed interest in CA bc I'm from there. Havent heard back from any. I'm thinking I made a major mistake not saying DC as I do realize there are plenty of good schools in CA that they already hired from and might have no openings...

Can I send an email to the recruiting department or my interviewer expressing that I actually misstated my preference and would be equally open to both?

cavalier1138

Re: Doubting my locations preferences for OCI screenings....

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Are people around your class rank getting callbacks from the same DC firms that rejected you?

But if you actually prefer the CA office of a firm, then it makes perfect sense to me that you'd express interest in the CA office. It's not going to be any harder to land California with ties than it will be to land DC biglaw; it should be quite a bit easier.

california12345

New

Re: Doubting my locations preferences for OCI screenings....

Post by california12345 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 pm

DC is notoriously the hardest, most competitive location to get into. i'm not sure what you can do about it now but going forward, if you are applying to the DC office, then say you want DC and WHY (explain your ties/family there).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”