Will a Personal Injury Internship Hurt Big Law Chances? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Anonymous User

Will a Personal Injury Internship Hurt Big Law Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:10 pm

I am a current 2L at a strong regional law school that places about the top 25-30% of the class into Big Law. I am on the main law review and in the top 20% of the class. I am hoping to go into Big Law through our OCI during January and do transactional work. I was just offered a paid internship at a personal injury firm during this upcoming spring semester and wouldn't mind making some extra money.

Will taking a personal injury internship for the semester hurt my chances at big law? Does something like this look bad on a resume for someone who leans towards transactional work? I appreciate any input.

nealric

Re: Will a Personal Injury Internship Hurt Big Law Chances?

Post by nealric » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:32 pm

Not likely. Most firms don't really care all that much what you did 1L summer as long as it was at least somewhat law related. For a side gig during the semester they could care even less. For what it's worth, I worked part time at a PI firm in law school and ended up in Biglaw.

Biggest thing for someone in your spot will be grades.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:27 pm

nealric wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:32 pm
Not likely. Most firms don't really care all that much what you did 1L summer as long as it was at least somewhat law related. For a side gig during the semester they could care even less. For what it's worth, I worked part time at a PI firm in law school and ended up in Biglaw.

Biggest thing for someone in your spot will be grades.
I echo all of this. I worked at a PI firm 2.5 years before law school and 1L summer. Only thing that matters is grades for you. And maybe just be prepared to talk about why working the internship was a good experience/spin it in a conversational manner.

commonlaw

New

Post by commonlaw » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 am

You'll probably get asked why you're interested in transactional work. So make sure you have a good answer ready. But I can't see how the job in itself would hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”