Is it a good idea to work during law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tlsadmin3

Is it a good idea to work during law school?

Post by tlsadmin3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Law school is one of the most demanding forms of higher education you can pursue, and it requires as much devotion as you can manage. Long study hours and a heavy workload make it very difficult to maintain any commitments other than your coursework. Law school is also one of the most expensive forms of higher education, which leaves many law students debating whether holding a job while in law school is worth the potential hit to your studies.

Do you think you should hold a job while enrolled in law school? Why or why not?

Soundman32

New

Re: Is it a good idea to work during law school?

Post by Soundman32 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Personally I think it depends on the person. Whilst I was doing my undergraduate studies, I held a full-time job. I understand that law school is different and requires a great deal of time commitments. I’m in my 1L and think that if I didn’t work I’d go insane considering all universities are shutdown, law school would be all I do.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:48 am

Soundman32 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 pm
Personally I think it depends on the person. Whilst I was doing my undergraduate studies, I held a full-time job. I understand that law school is different and requires a great deal of time commitments. I’m in my 1L and think that if I didn’t work I’d go insane considering all universities are shutdown, law school would be all I do.
How did you do in your first semester?

Most law students will work during 2L and 3L in internships, clinics, etc. But the reason most people advise against working during your first year--particularly your first semester--is that you don't know how the time spent on that job is going to impact your performance until it's too late.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 am

Not a good idea. Whatever you make in a nonlegal job will be pennies compared to what you miss out on if and when you miss the biglaw boat. You minimize your chances of missing the biglaw boat if you devote your life to studying, unfortunately.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:10 am

I agree with not working 1L, at least certainly the first semester. But not everyone is aiming for biglaw (or at a school where it’s a realistic outcome). In that context, working is much more helpful, as long as it’s something that will get you legal experience and/or connect you to lawyers. Obviously it kind of depends what “job” means.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”