Striking out with all big and middle law firms. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawschoolgeniusguy

New

Striking out with all big and middle law firms.

Post by Lawschoolgeniusguy » Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 am

Hello all, first thanks for all the great advice over the past years and especially admissions advice that helped me get a great scholly at my school. I'm a great student- top 25 precent- and yet I've been completely striking out at all opportunities and have received zero actual offers despite clerking for a judge both my 1L and 2L, great networking (500 plus contacts in linked in -99% local attorneys) and many practice/mock interviews (so I know my skills on interviews are high as well). I am also on moot Court and received honorable mention for a brief at a national competition in Ohio. I can't even get an interview. What is going on and any advice on how to get an employer to call back? I've been mass emailing firms in mainly NYC (my parents live there so it's my primary choice) and Chicago. I don't like California and hate this culture so Cali is off the list.

nixy

Gold

Re: Striking out with all big and middle law firms.

Post by nixy » Sun May 03, 2020 8:33 am

If you do go to Thomas Jefferson that is probably the issue. You should probably start contacting every tiny firm/solo you know to see if they can do anything for you. Also, if all your connections are local attorneys and you’re in San Diego you probably need to start looking for a job in San Diego.

cavalier1138

Re: Striking out with all big and middle law firms.

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:47 am

nixy wrote:If you do go to Thomas Jefferson that is probably the issue. You should probably start contacting every tiny firm/solo you know to see if they can do anything for you. Also, if all your connections are local attorneys and you’re in San Diego you probably need to start looking for a job in San Diego.
This.

OP: Assuming you aren't trolling (and that's a big assumption), you need to get realistic. Top 25% at TJ means that you have a shot at being a lawyer, period. But you aren't getting biglaw, and you aren't getting a job outside of Southern California.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”