Latin Honors Without Spring Grades? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bpfishers90

New

Latin Honors Without Spring Grades?

Post by bpfishers90 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:11 pm

My law school recently announced that the Latin Honors appearing on our graduation programs (and announced during the graduation ceremony) will not include our spring 2020 grades. A "supplemental" list will be printed once the spring grades are finalized. As someone who is currently *extremely* borderline between Latin Honors categories, I am pretty upset about this. I was banking on my spring 2020 grades bumping me up. It seems unfair that the honors announced at graduation are essentially a "guess" for at least some students. Do other schools have this policy? Is it normal?

JusticeChuckleNutz

New

Re: Latin Honors Without Spring Grades?

Post by JusticeChuckleNutz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:56 pm

bpfishers90 wrote:My law school recently announced that the Latin Honors appearing on our graduation programs (and announced during the graduation ceremony) will not include our spring 2020 grades. A "supplemental" list will be printed once the spring grades are finalized. As someone who is currently *extremely* borderline between Latin Honors categories, I am pretty upset about this. I was banking on my spring 2020 grades bumping me up. It seems unfair that the honors announced at graduation are essentially a "guess" for at least some students. Do other schools have this policy? Is it normal?
Why does this upset you? Doesn't it matter more what honors are actually associated with your degree, which will factor in your spring grades?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:39 pm

JusticeChuckleNutz wrote:
bpfishers90 wrote:My law school recently announced that the Latin Honors appearing on our graduation programs (and announced during the graduation ceremony) will not include our spring 2020 grades. A "supplemental" list will be printed once the spring grades are finalized. As someone who is currently *extremely* borderline between Latin Honors categories, I am pretty upset about this. I was banking on my spring 2020 grades bumping me up. It seems unfair that the honors announced at graduation are essentially a "guess" for at least some students. Do other schools have this policy? Is it normal?
Why does this upset you? Doesn't it matter more what honors are actually associated with your degree, which will factor in your spring grades?
Yeah, unless you plan on sending the graduation program to prospective employers, no one will ever know if you were errantly marked as cum laude when you really achieved magna.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:25 am

JusticeChuckleNutz wrote:
Maybe the classmate who stole OP's boyfriend/girlfriend is cum laude and magna was their chance to get him/her back

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”