NYU Latin Honors Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cbbinnyc

Bronze

NYU Latin Honors

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 am

Hi all, it's about that time. Anybody heard anything about Latin honors?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: NYU Latin Honors

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm

FYI, latin honors are starting to come out
3.60 good enough for cum laude

Dante181

New

Post by Dante181 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Magna cum laude is out.

Dante181

New

Post by Dante181 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Emails are out for Coif/magna.

Nswnsn

New

Post by Nswnsn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am

cbbinnyc wrote:FYI, latin honors are starting to come out
Where did you get this? I had a 3.61 and didn't get cum laude. Sounds like I need to talk with academic services

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Nswnsn wrote:
Where did you get this? I had a 3.61 and didn't get cum laude. Sounds like I need to talk with academic services
Sorry for the slow response, this may now be a moot point but ... I just calculated my gpa by hand and came up with 3.604. Pretty certain I did it correctly, but maybe there is some quirk in how they do calculations for latin honors that I'm not aware of.

Nswnsn

New

Post by Nswnsn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for your response! Did you use 3.66 for an A- or 3.67 (NYU's policy on this changed while we were in school). Using 3.67 I get 3.606 for my GPA but 3.66 I get 3.602 (I had a lot of A-s I guess).
cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:
Sorry for the slow response, this may now be a moot point but ... I just calculated my gpa by hand and came up with 3.604. Pretty certain I did it correctly, but maybe there is some quirk in how they do calculations for latin honors that I'm not aware of.

Nswnsn

New

Post by Nswnsn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am

So, I talked with academic services. They claim that your calculation is "inaccurate". But given how shady they are about grades in general, I am kind of suspicious about the process they used to check this. Here is my email: ims335@nyu.edu. would you be willing to talk them with me? Thanks

cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:

Nswnsn

New

Post by Nswnsn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am

I've calculated my GPA according to the formula NYU has online, and I come up with 3.606 every time. I told NYU about your post and asked them to check if there was a mistake when they calculated my GPA. At first academic services refused because of the ole song-and-dance that they don't calculate GPA. Then after I emailed them several more times they called your post inaccurate. NYU has totally ignored my follow-up emails asking what the accurate number is for the lowest GPA that received cum laude our year. Frankly, given how NYU has handled my questions about this, I don't think they checked this. And I think it is way more likely NYU made a mistake than it is a longtime TLSer doesn't know how to calculate GPA (I mean, this is 7th grade math). But it is clear to me NYU will not even admit this is a possibility unless both of us come to academic services with our transcripts and different GPAs.

I don't know if you are still out there or if you have moved on. If you are still out there, I really need your help. It kills me that after three years of hard work NYU won't even check its arithmetic. Please let me know if you are able to help. Thank you.
cbbinnyc wrote:
Nswnsn wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Just to put a button on this, for people interested in the future, turns out that, in reality, 3.621 was good enough for cum laude (apparently non-law school classes are not counted in the calculation for latin honors).

Icedcoffee92

New

Post by Icedcoffee92 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Because this thread was so helpful to me these last few years, here is some data for class of 2020:

3.604 was good enough for cum laude (likely lower than past years due to COVID)
3.572 after 4 semesters wasn't good enough for McKay in Spring 2019

redrobin

New

Post by redrobin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Is it probably the case that all latin honors designations have been released at this point? As in, if you haven't heard by now, you're out of luck?

Icedcoffee92

New

Post by Icedcoffee92 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:04 am

redrobin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:55 pm
Is it probably the case that all latin honors designations have been released at this point? As in, if you haven't heard by now, you're out of luck?

My account is too new to reply to DMs so hope it’s okay to reply here. Unfortunately from the looks of it, the Latin honors roll out on transcripts usually over the course of a day or so, so they’ve likely all been awarded. You can probably email academic services though. I’m sorry if you’ve barely missed it, I know I had the same feeling last year when I learned that I missed McKay likely by something as low as .002. And it seems like a poster from last year on this thread went through the same thing. I wish NYU set hard benchmarks and let us know in advance so we could work towards it and not have this uncertainty

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

redrobin

New

Post by redrobin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:30 pm

That makes me sad, but good to have some finality. I’m mainly frustrated because one of my seminars offered a grade option (despite covid) that in hindsight I could have taken to give me a boost. Oh well, no point sulking now that it’s all said and done. Thanks a bunch for the info!

For future students: I had a 3.xxx and missed cum laude. So, the floor for the Class of 2020 was somewhere between A 3.xxx and 3.zzz.

My account is too new to reply to DMs so hope it’s okay to reply here. Unfortunately from the looks of it, the Latin honors roll out on transcripts usually over the course of a day or so, so they’ve likely all been awarded. You can probably email academic services though. I’m sorry if you’ve barely missed it, I know I had the same feeling last year when I learned that I missed McKay likely by something as low as .00y. And it seems like a poster from last year on this thread went through the same thing. I wish NYU set hard benchmarks and let us know in advance so we could work towards it and not have this uncertainty

violetwindsor

New

Post by violetwindsor » Fri May 07, 2021 12:46 am

Do we know if there were for sure Latin Honors given out in 2020 and/or 2021 for NYU? With covid, did that affect their choice to award them?

OoOoOoO

New

Post by OoOoOoO » Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Latin honors were awarded for class of 2020. For ref, ~3.754 was good for cum laude and coif (i.e. top 10% of the starting 1L class for coif, but somewhere slightly below top 10% when transfers are included for latin honors). We were notified in July, around the same timeframe as in prior years.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:10 am

If you have an incomplete on your transcript, are you eligible for 2L honors?
Also, have they been released yet? Academic services said this week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bohabo

New

Post by bohabo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am

Any insight on how classes taken pass/fail factor in to determining honors? Are they just ignored? Or do you need a minimum number of graded courses to qualify for mckay/allen etc.

person101

New

Post by person101 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:13 pm

2L honors are out. as a data point, 3.71 good enough for mckay but not allen.

bohabo

New

Post by bohabo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Any insight on Allen cut off?

person101

New

Post by person101 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:37 am

bohabo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:14 pm
Any insight on Allen cut off?
usually it's pretty close to 3.7 (from previous years' threads). I suspect grades were slightly inflated for our year due to having the P/F spring 1L semester so it might have been higher than usual. hope someone else has more data tho.

also, I got an email but nothing on transcript still....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bdbdbd123

New

Post by Bdbdbd123 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:40 am

For graduates, magna/Coif is out on transcripts (or at least starting to roll out). As a data point, 3.75ish was high enough.

yadayada42

New

Post by yadayada42 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:17 pm

apparently 3L honors are on transcripts. friend with 3.77~ got coif and magna. would love more data if anyone wants to share. :shock:

slimer

New

Post by slimer » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:31 pm

~3.71 good enough for cum laude but not Coif

escapeffs

New

Post by escapeffs » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:29 pm

adding another data point: 3.72 cum laude. curious what the cutoff is for magna/coif

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”