Duke 2L professor suggestions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
eightleggedfreaks

New

Duke 2L professor suggestions

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

Looking for some suggestions on professors or courses I should take next year. I want to do litigation, possibly labor and employment work, and I’m interested in regulatory work as well. I want to be in biglaw so I’ll be taking business associations and probably another class that lends itself to commercial lit.

I did the best with straightforward professors who wanted to break down the material, used PowerPoints and didn’t let the class discussion get carried away.

I did horribly with Gulati. Please keep me away from professors who are living in la la land.

Who should I look into taking who is straightforward and somewhat interesting to listen to? Thanks!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Duke 2L professor suggestions

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:03 pm

eightleggedfreaks wrote:Looking for some suggestions on professors or courses I should take next year. I want to do litigation, possibly labor and employment work, and I’m interested in regulatory work as well. I want to be in biglaw so I’ll be taking business associations and probably another class that lends itself to commercial lit.

I did the best with straightforward professors who wanted to break down the material, used PowerPoints and didn’t let the class discussion get carried away.

I did horribly with Gulati. Please keep me away from professors who are living in la la land.

Who should I look into taking who is straightforward and somewhat interesting to listen to? Thanks!
Is the class schedule even released yet?

Also, Gulati was both my favorite and least favorite prof this semester.

eightleggedfreaks

New

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:Looking for some suggestions on professors or courses I should take next year. I want to do litigation, possibly labor and employment work, and I’m interested in regulatory work as well. I want to be in biglaw so I’ll be taking business associations and probably another class that lends itself to commercial lit.

The courses themselves have been posted, although not necessarily with professors attached. I guess you must have been in my class if you were a 1L. That’s 100% the worst class I’ve ever taken.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 pm

eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

The courses themselves have been posted, although not necessarily with professors attached. I guess you must have been in my class if you were a 1L. That’s 100% the worst class I’ve ever taken.
Yeah I think we were in class together, but you must not be in my section since Torts with DeMott, 4 days a week at 8 AM was objectively 100x worse than Gulati. And I say that even though I did better in torts than contracts!

eightleggedfreaks

New

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

Yeah I think we were in class together, but you must not be in my section since Torts with DeMott, 4 days a week at 8 AM was objectively 100x worse than Gulati. And I say that even though I did better in torts than contracts!
Lol I in fact am not in your section. I don’t envy you guys at all for those struggles— my roommate was in your section and was not pleased with DeMott.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hogscienceavatarlost

New

Post by hogscienceavatarlost » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:19 pm

If you didn't like Gulati then avoid Kim K for BA. Try to take it with Cox.

Take Evidence. Can't lose with Griffin or Beskind--I would avoid if it's an adjunct.

If you're interested in Labor, then of course take Bowling's Labor Law class.

For Powerpoints and an interesting lecturer, take National Security Law with Dunlap. (Bonus: Great way to fulfill the writing credit)

And finally, I highly recommend Buell's Corporate Crime. Just beware that that class is usually a gunner fiesta.

eightleggedfreaks

New

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am

hogscienceavatarlost wrote:If you didn't like Gulati then avoid Kim K for BA. Try to take it with Cox.

Take Evidence. Can't lose with Griffin or Beskind--I would avoid if it's an adjunct.

For Powerpoints and an interesting lecturer, take National Security Law with Dunlap. (Bonus: Great way to fulfill the writing credit)

And finally, I highly recommend Buell's Corporate Crime. Just beware that that class is usually a gunner fiesta.
Thank you!!

karkclent

New

Post by karkclent » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:44 am

eightleggedfreaks wrote:
hogscienceavatarlost wrote:If you didn't like Gulati then avoid Kim K for BA. Try to take it with Cox.

Thank you!!
Griffin over Beskind for evidence if you can.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks for the advice!

If I'm looking to go transactional, is evidence still a "must take" class?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

It's probably the most helpful non-1L course for the bar. Concepts like hearsay (and its exceptions/exclusions) and relevance really aren't difficult once you get the hang of them but it helps to spend a semester on them instead of a week. Crim Pro is also helpful for the bar, just in terms of being able to intuit what the right answer is based on certain fact patterns, but if you only take one of those two I'd lean evidence. Trusts and Estates did very little to help my bar prep.

hogscienceavatarlost

New

Post by hogscienceavatarlost » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Not a "must take," but Evidence as a bar topic kinda sucks if you've never seen it before. So some transactional folks take it 3L spring with an eye towards lessening the bar prep load.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”