I made a Bluebook citation generator - looking for feedback! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
legaleasetech

New

I made a Bluebook citation generator - looking for feedback!

Post by legaleasetech » Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am

Hi everyone,

I’m a former law student and I wasted too much time with the Bluebook. So I made a Bluebook generator. It’s called LegalEase Citations.
https://legaleasecitations.com/

The way it works is you pick a source type, enter in some information, and the software returns a 100%-accurate Bluebook citation in all academic and non-academic formats.

The software now supports 11 different types of sources and includes examples and explanations throughout.

What features or improvements would you guys want to see in something like this? Really looking forward to hearing your feedback!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: I made a Bluebook citation generator - looking for feedback!

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm

How is this different than the cites that Westlaw generates when you copy text

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:How is this different than the cites that Westlaw generates when you copy text
I'd assume the big difference is that these citations are correct for Bluebook standards, which is definitely not the case for Westlaw or Lexis auto-citations.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:How is this different than the cites that Westlaw generates when you copy text
I'd assume the big difference is that these citations are correct for Bluebook standards, which is definitely not the case for Westlaw or Lexis auto-citations.
They're pretty close, and the MS Word plug-in(s?) clean up the rest

Halp

Bronze

Post by Halp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Wait, which plugin? I’ve not yet found one that works. That would be a godsend. Or do you mean the integrated Westlaw thingie?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legaleasetech

New

Post by legaleasetech » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:17 pm

My experience with Westlaw, Lexis, and other citation features was they got me in the ballpark for a particular citation but, often, the citation was plainly wrong.

There are simply too many Bluebook rules that rely on particular conditions and context. There’s no way to trigger these rules (and therefore, create an accurate citation) without getting far more input from a user.

This is the problem that I tried to tackle. The software does the obvious things like automatically applying the relevant Bluebook rules to inputted text and appropriately abbreviating names of things like reporters and entities. Where it goes a step further, in order to create a completely accurate citation, is the inclusion of dropdown boxes that cover all conditional and context-dependent scenarios.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Two thoughts. First, nice work. That's impressive and cool. Second, wow that's a lot of work to do for a citation. I can't imagine doing that for all my citations. Why not just figure it out from the Bluebook?

Fantasyfreak294

New

Post by Fantasyfreak294 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:34 am

legaleasetech wrote:Hi everyone,

I’m a former law student and I wasted too much time with the Bluebook. So I made a Bluebook generator. It’s called LegalEase Citations.
https://legaleasecitations.com/

The way it works is you pick a source type, enter in some information, and the software returns a 100%-accurate Bluebook citation in all academic and non-academic formats.

The software now supports 11 different types of sources and includes examples and explanations throughout.

What features or improvements would you guys want to see in something like this? Really looking forward to hearing your feedback!
Feedback: perhaps make it free to use? (I'm not saying forgo any revenue, but maybe switching to an ad revenue model instead, or a longer trial period so students can determine w/e or not it's useful for them? Not trying to minimize all your hard work, & I've no idea the analytics you did to see which method for revenue gen. was most effective for you)

Swampcastle

New

Post by Swampcastle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 pm

It would make sense to make it free to people with .edu's get them used to using it, then charging them once they graduate and are hooked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”