law school is already annoying the hell out of me and I'm only halfway through 1L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sparty99

Gold

Re: law school is already annoying the hell out of me and I'm only halfway through 1L

Post by sparty99 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 am

rzzza wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:14 pm
Update: I graduated from Loyola despite a shitty GPA throughout, passed the bar, and was offered a job at a mid-size firm that pays $65k.

I don't know why people here dump on Loyola/DePaul/Kent/John Marshall grads. I see a ton of senior attorneys and partners who went to those schools. They seem to be doing alright.
In 2018, I said you would "probably get a job doing insurance defense in Chicago making $60k." You make $65k, so I was spot on. I hope you plan on leaving your firm in 18 months to join big law, because $65,000 aint going to cut it with your debt load.

nixy

Gold

Re: law school is already annoying the hell out of me and I'm only halfway through 1L

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 am

Sparty, why do you assume everyone can get a biglaw gig?

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 am
rzzza wrote:
Update: I graduated from Loyola despite a shitty GPA throughout, passed the bar, and was offered a job at a mid-size firm that pays $65k.

I don't know why people here dump on Loyola/DePaul/Kent/John Marshall grads. I see a ton of senior attorneys and partners who went to those schools. They seem to be doing alright.
In 2018, I said you would "probably get a job doing insurance defense in Chicago making $60k." You make $65k, so I was spot on. I hope you plan on leaving your firm in 18 months to join big law, because $65,000 aint going to cut it with your debt load.
a shitty GPA from Loyola means the only way to end up in biglaw is as a partner (with a solid book of business)

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm

FND wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 pm
sparty99 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 am
rzzza wrote:

a shitty GPA from Loyola means the only way to end up in biglaw is as a partner (with a solid book of business)
"Big law" is a large field. It can mean Michael Best, Ogletree Deakins, Kirkland & Ellis or Segal McCambridge. I think a Loyola grad could get all of these positions except Kirkland absent some extremely special case. I have seen some attorneys get really good (at least on name/pay) big law jobs after starting at some firms that pay $65,000, but I was not always sure if they had strong grades.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm
FND wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 pm
"Big law" is a large field. It can mean Michael Best, Ogletree Deakins, Kirkland & Ellis or Segal McCambridge. I think a Loyola grad could get all of these positions except Kirkland absent some extremely special case. I have seen some attorneys get really good (at least on name/pay) big law jobs after starting at some firms that pay $65,000, but I was not always sure if they had strong grades.
I'm not saying a Loyola grad can't end up in biglaw, I'm saying shitty grades from Loyola makes it near-impossible. Most biglaw firms ask for grades and/or transcript, even for senior associates, and unless you're coming from another biglaw firm, if your grades are too low, they won't give you the time of day.

here's the general hiring preference/hierarchy (assuming you've got the right skills/experience):
1) coming from a larger firm with stellar grades
2) coming from a similar size firm with stellar grades
3) coming from a larger firm with mediocre grades
- for certain practices, #2 and #3 may be other way around)
3) Coming from a similar size firm with mediocre grades
4) Coming from a smaller firm with stellar grades

Biglaw is generally the domain of the upper echelon. If you didn't go to a prestige school, they at least want to tout prestige awards (like dean's list). Biglaw is ok with laterals from midlaw, but they'd rather leave a position unfilled than lower their standards, they really don't want to be dipping down to the minors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:07 am

This is my favorite series of threads on TLS because this guy from day one does literally the exact opposite of TLS orthodoxy and then ends up apparently happy with his life anyway no matter how many people shitpost and tell him he should be filled with regret. I think it’s weirdly inspirational

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”