Law Review Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TierForceOne

New

Law Review Question

Post by TierForceOne » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 pm

update---the journals at my school grade the Write-On independently. The Write-On packet says that we could get offers from multiple journals. I received an offer from a secondary journal (which I'm happy about), lets call it the Forestry Journal. We must accept or decline by Monday at 11 p.m.
Does anyone else's school do this? I'm worried I will accept, then miss out on any chance for my school's Law Review.
Last edited by TierForceOne on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Law Review Question

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:57 pm

It seems a little absurd that your school would allow secondary journals to set acceptance deadlines for dates before law review makes offers. How is the school handling the general organization of the writing competition? Just letting the journals do whatever they want?

Also, what do you mean "binding at other schools"?

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:It seems a little absurd that your school would allow secondary journals to set acceptance deadlines for dates before law review makes offers. How is the school handling the general organization of the writing competition? Just letting the journals do whatever they want?

I agree! It's a bit annoying that ~48 hours after the invite, we have to accept. They said it's because they want people to be able to finalize their resumes before bidding for OCI's.

Some on other forums from other schools are say that only 1 journal gives offers, the journal you rated highest on your preferences that you get admitted to, so that would mean I wouldn't have to worry about a Law Review offer. But I'm still not sure that's the case. I talked to someone on Law Review and he said sometime next week, those accepted would be getting offers.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm

TierForceOne wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:It seems a little absurd that your school would allow secondary journals to set acceptance deadlines for dates before law review makes offers. How is the school handling the general organization of the writing competition? Just letting the journals do whatever they want?

I agree! It's a bit annoying that ~48 hours after the invite, we have to accept. They said it's because they want people to be able to finalize their resumes before bidding for OCI's.

Some on other forums from other schools are say that only 1 journal gives offers, the journal you rated highest on your preferences that you get admitted to, so that would mean I wouldn't have to worry about a Law Review offer. But I'm still not sure that's the case. I talked to someone on Law Review and he said sometime next week, those accepted would be getting offers.
I can't speak for every school, but that's the system I'm familiar with. You rank your preferences, the journals rank their preferences, and you get matched with a journal. Maybe you should re-read the materials you got with the writing competition, because it sounds like you don't actually know how your school's system works.

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TierForceOne wrote:

I can't speak for every school, but that's the system I'm familiar with. You rank your preferences, the journals rank their preferences, and you get matched with a journal. Maybe you should re-read the materials you got with the writing competition, because it sounds like you don't actually know how your school's system works.

Maybe I'll look into that then

edit--so I re-read the materials, and our school is different from the "system you're familiar with." It explicitly says we could get offers from multiple journals. So I guess I'm back at square one and need to find out what happens if I accept. Back to the 100+ page info packet we received...I'll update if I find the answer.

edit II---so the packet doesn't address this. Is our school really the only one that does this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:24 am

Just turn down the secondary. secondaries r a waste of time anyway,

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:06 am

Can't you just accept and then bail if you get Law Review?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 am

I'm kind of on the "don't bother" train then, and that's also a really dumb system that your school has. The journal [name redacted to reflect edited post] sounds like a bullshit secondary made for padding resumes, and unless you're really interested in [forestry] law, I don't see the point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”