Diversity Ruling Binding on State Courts? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clshopeful

Bronze

Diversity Ruling Binding on State Courts?

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Can someone give me the answer? I cannot find it.

If a federal court is sitting in diversity jurisdiction, i.e., applying state law, is the federal court's ruling binding on the lower state courts in the state? Such as if a diversity case decided a state law issue by interpreting a state law that hadn't been done before by the state courts; does this interpretation bind a state superior court?

my prediction is No, since doing so would usurp state's ability to have its own laws

landshoes

Silver

Re: Diversity Ruling Binding on State Courts?

Post by landshoes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:56 am

No, it's not binding on state courts. I forget exactly what case, but you should probably read Erie or like a supplement or something.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am

No, it is not. If a federal court exercises diversity jurisdiction, it must apply the law in a manner that the "highest court in the state" would apply the law.

It'd be a breach of a state's sovereignty for a federal court's decision on a state law issue to bind the state courts.

Of course, you can always cite to the federal decision as persuasive authority, but not as binding.

I agree with landshoes. Skim the Erie case and its progeny.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 pm

kykiske wrote:No, it is not. If a federal court exercises diversity jurisdiction, it must apply the law in a manner that the "highest court in the state" would apply the law.

It'd be a breach of a state's sovereignty for a federal court's decision on a state law issue to bind the state courts.

Of course, you can always cite to the federal decision as persuasive authority, but not as binding.

This is all correct. The only thing I would add is that the reverse of this question (are decisions by state trial courts/intermediate appellate courts binding on federal courts sitting in diversity) is a bit trickier, but the answer is usually "yes."

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
kykiske wrote:No, it is not. If a federal court exercises diversity jurisdiction, it must apply the law in a manner that the "highest court in the state" would apply the law.

This is all correct. The only thing I would add is that the reverse of this question (are decisions by state trial courts/intermediate appellate courts binding on federal courts sitting in diversity) is a bit trickier, but the answer is usually "yes."
STOP IT DUDE. You're invoking bad memories from my state and federal courts course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”