1L Summer Location Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
darrenbragg

New

1L Summer Location

Post by darrenbragg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am

how important is the location of your 1L internship? Like, is it impossible to get a biglaw job in a certain market if you're not interning there during your 1l summer?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

grades??

Silver

Re: 1L Summer Location

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am

Like I said in your other thread, it has become increasingly important to be in the market you want, especially if your school is not within that market. Dude you are gonna have to figure something out with your wife, but a lot of law students do it every summer. It sucks but it is what it is. You should not spent your 1l summer in Durham or nyc if you want to be in Boston. End of story.

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am

It's super helpful to go where you want to go long term. You can network over the summer, get pre-oci interviews, plus it demonstrates a commit to the region if you are in a ties-sensitive market. It's definitely possible to get a job in the market you want without spending your 1l summer there, it just makes your life a lot easier if you do spend summer where you want to end up.

Also, keep in mind that if you go somewhere else for a summer, that can be another potential hurdle to overcome. Let's say you want to go to Houston long term, but you spend your 1l summer in DC. Employers will ask why you spent your summer in DC if you want Houston, so you'll need a good reason for that. On the flip side, it's so much easier to say "I'm 100 percent committed to Houston, that's why I came here this summer."

That's just my opinion. All of this may be irrelevant if you end up with law review grades from Yale or something though.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:32 am

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

grades?? wrote:Like I said in your other thread, it has become increasingly important to be in the market you want, especially if your school is not within that market. Dude you are gonna have to figure something out with your wife, but a lot of law students do it every summer. It sucks but it is what it is. You should not spent your 1l summer in Durham or nyc if you want to be in Boston. End of story.
This is the truth. It's an 8-10 week internship man. It'll be over in the blink of an eye.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”