Need help. Drop out after 1 semester - transfer or reapply in the future? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lamullinga

New

Need help. Drop out after 1 semester - transfer or reapply in the future?

Post by Lamullinga » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Does anyone have any experience with dropping out after 1 semester and successfully transferring OR reapplying somewhere else?

I started at a part-time program in the fall at a top TTT (yet well regarded locally). Due to personal and financial reasons, I may have to move out of state within the next 3-6 months. I started to look at my options to pursue the degree after the move and there's a LS (with similar ranking as current LS) with a PT program that may work.

The problem is that I don't know how I did during the fall (grades will be out in late Jan/early Feb) and I don't know if bad grades will potentially affect my chances of transferring. If the grades are not good enough, is reapplying at a different school an option?? Should I just try to stay for another semester, do better, and then transfer?

I'm also concerned about scholarships (current LS is covering 90% of tuition/fees) and the fact that, from what I understand, aid for transfers is very limited. So maybe chances of getting any aid would be better as re-applicant (if this is an option).

Other factors that may/may not be relevant: URM, 155/3.82, ivy league poli sci BA with honors, very good softs, years of legal experience, strong EC's)

I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions!

TragicBronson

New

Re: Need help. Drop out after 1 semester - transfer or reapply in the future?

Post by TragicBronson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Shoot, as a URM with a 3.82 I'd suggest you drop out, retake, and reapply even in different circumstances.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm

TragicBronson wrote:Shoot, as a URM with a 3.82 I'd suggest you drop out, retake, and reapply even in different circumstances.
I think this is the correct answer. Not positive this is doable once you have started at a school (no clue whether it is or isn't), but if it is, this is the play.

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 am

Retake and reapply! If you were able to graduate from an ivy with a 3.8, you are absolutely capable of getting a 168+ if you work on it. With that LSAT, you'd be golden for a T14 with money

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 am

No reason you should be going to a TTT with those credentials. Drop out and retake. You'll regret staying or transferring to a similar school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lamullinga

New

Post by Lamullinga » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 am

Thank you so much for the suggestions. This was not the the plan, nor the intent, but I guess it could be a plus to retake and go for a better school. I did get into much better schools during admissions (with scholarships, even for PT programs) in other parts of the country (NYC, DC, etc), but had to stay in this state (NJ) because of my husband's family/job.

Well, please allow me to vent a bit, it turns out that 48 hours ago he told me that we shouldn't be together and he never loved me (which is BS, there's obviously something else; we had a destination wedding in May, we have been together for 10 years, living together for 9). So now I have to re-plan my whole life and there's no significant reason for me to stay here long term or for at least 3 1/2 years while I finish LS. I'm trying to avoid any rash decisions, but at the very least I would need a leave of absence (to deal with all of this emotionally, move out, maybe get 2nd job to save up, etc). Current LS is well regarded locally/regionally, but I'm not sure how this would transfer to FL (where I would be moving to; lived there before coming here, all my family is there).

I'm sorry if that was a bit of TMI, and not sure if relevant, but I certainty hope it gives me a good reason to explain the drop out/transfer to future LS.

Thanks again!

TragicBronson

New

Post by TragicBronson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:53 am

If I may ask, do you plan on doing big law? Or would you prefer to work as a public defender/prosecutor/public interest/ be at a small firm? It seems that the life plan that you formed jointly with your husband had a decent amount to do with his job (I'm assuming he was going to continue to work even after you begin practicing?). Attending a TTT instead of possibly a t14 with money for his job is quite a sacrifice. And that's fine if it's the decision that y'all thought was best for you. Maybe he kills it and you only wanted to be a public defender anyway. However, if you're going to be single, my advice would be to aim much higher in your own career.

Idk how much you understand about the different kinds of legal jobs available (I see that you haven't posted much, maybe you haven't researched much either), but if you get a job in big law, you'll start at 180K/year. Once that happens, whatever money you might have saved by doing things like prioritizing a partner's job so that they can continue working (assuming they don't earn a ton), working a second job (working even one during 1L year isn't recommended), attending a TTT, or a host of other things, will all seem like small potatoes. Don't be scared of a little bit of debt here. Perhaps your husband was anti debt as well, IDK.

In short, I'm imagining a scenario where you take some time off to work just 1 job and to study hard for the LSAT, get a 165+, go to a t14 with some money, then get a job where you can pay off whatever debt you've incurred plus make bundles of money for years to come. Obviously, it's absolutely your decision. I'm just saying, you do understand that such a path is available for you, right?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:24 am

Lamullinga wrote:Thank you so much for the suggestions. This was not the the plan, nor the intent, but I guess it could be a plus to retake and go for a better school. I did get into much better schools during admissions (with scholarships, even for PT programs) in other parts of the country (NYC, DC, etc), but had to stay in this state (NJ) because of my husband's family/job.

Well, please allow me to vent a bit, it turns out that 48 hours ago he told me that we shouldn't be together and he never loved me (which is BS, there's obviously something else; we had a destination wedding in May, we have been together for 10 years, living together for 9). So now I have to re-plan my whole life and there's no significant reason for me to stay here long term or for at least 3 1/2 years while I finish LS. I'm trying to avoid any rash decisions, but at the very least I would need a leave of absence (to deal with all of this emotionally, move out, maybe get 2nd job to save up, etc). Current LS is well regarded locally/regionally, but I'm not sure how this would transfer to FL (where I would be moving to; lived there before coming here, all my family is there).

I'm sorry if that was a bit of TMI, and not sure if relevant, but I certainty hope it gives me a good reason to explain the drop out/transfer to future LS.

Thanks again!
That sucks :( You should discuss in the lounge, which is more for off topic discussion and where you can talk to people who can commiserate and sympathize. People who have faced some tough shit too. This is fine too, but you'll probably want to vent some more

Lamullinga

New

Post by Lamullinga » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 am

TragicBronson wrote:In short, I'm imagining a scenario where you take some time off to work just 1 job and to study hard for the LSAT, get a 165+, go to a t14 with some money, then get a job where you can pay off whatever debt you've incurred plus make bundles of money for years to come. Obviously, it's absolutely your decision. I'm just saying, you do understand that such a path is available for you, right?
Thank you for your response. Yes, I know that this is now a possibility. I was never crazy about big law. Ideally, I wanted to go into nonprofit/public interest work (6+ years work experience, all EC's, volunteering, etc. have all been with nonprofits in one specific legal field), but I'm seriously considering other options and how they may play into financing LS, especially if I'm able to transfer/go to a better LS. I know several people who went into big law. Some of them left after a few years and they're now doing amazing work in the public interest/nonprofit sector (yes, with a pay cut, but still doing very well).

Looking at the big picture, this is a great opportunity. Yes, it sucks how it happened, but life goes on.

Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lamullinga

New

Post by Lamullinga » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:04 am

rcharter1978 wrote: That sucks :( You should discuss in the lounge, which is more for off topic discussion and where you can talk to people who can commiserate and sympathize. People who have faced some tough shit too. This is fine too, but you'll probably want to vent some more
Thanks. I know it will be fine. I just need to re-plan my academic/professional life and take any steps needed to move forward. Just mentioned the personal stuff because it played into the whole LS decision.

Thank you again

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am

I am so, so sorry this happened to you. Please know that you're not alone, that you did nothing wrong, and that the problem is with him—not you.

The next several months will be some of the hardest in your life. It will be incredibly challenging, but view this as a chance to snag the opportunities you sacrificed for him. Because he's an asshole and sure as hell decided not to do the same for you.

Everyone above is right. With a 155/3.82, you can get better schools (as you know). But take the next six months or so and use it to really study. Push that 155 a few points higher, or to a 160 or 165, and you'll have lots of $ offers from fantastic schools, including T-14s. there are some great study guides in the LSAT prep forum here that can help.

Also, during this same time, focus on yourself. Do whatever makes you feel healthy/good about yourself: exercise, meditate, eat well, go on long walks, volunteer, etc.

And one, two, three years from now, whenever it happens, when he comes to you and tells you he made a mistake: tell him to fuck off.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:19 am

Lamullinga wrote:Thank you so much for the suggestions. This was not the the plan, nor the intent, but I guess it could be a plus to retake and go for a better school. I did get into much better schools during admissions (with scholarships, even for PT programs) in other parts of the country (NYC, DC, etc), but had to stay in this state (NJ) because of my husband's family/job.

Thanks again!
That's messed up. I think taking a leave of absence is at minimum a good idea. Dropping out might also be a good idea. If you can improve your LSAT, you can get into a better school. If you bump your LSAT up a bit, you could probably get a full ride to UF and FSU if you didn't go to a t14 school.

If you want a career in public interest, getting a full ride is definitely helpful.(although, top schools do have LRAP...but I know a lot of people feel more comfortable without having debt hanging over their head)

Florida can be a tough market for "outsiders." It sounds like you do have some ties, which is good. Again, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.

Lamullinga

New

Post by Lamullinga » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:02 am

emkay625 wrote:I am so, so sorry this happened to you. Please know that you're not alone, that you did nothing wrong, and that the problem is with him—not you.

The next several months will be some of the hardest in your life. It will be incredibly challenging, but view this as a chance to snag the opportunities you sacrificed for him. Because he's an asshole and sure as hell decided not to do the same for you.

Everyone above is right. With a 155/3.82, you can get better schools (as you know). But take the next six months or so and use it to really study. Push that 155 a few points higher, or to a 160 or 165, and you'll have lots of $ offers from fantastic schools, including T-14s. there are some great study guides in the LSAT prep forum here that can help.

Also, during this same time, focus on yourself. Do whatever makes you feel healthy/good about yourself: exercise, meditate, eat well, go on long walks, volunteer, etc.

And one, two, three years from now, whenever it happens, when he comes to you and tells you he made a mistake: tell him to fuck off.
Thank you so much for this. I know it will be incredibly hard, but I'm also seeing this as an opportunity to really do what I wanted to do and have the freedom to somewhere else. Breakups are difficult, but thankfully it happened now and not later on, when it would be harder (or impossible) to drop out and retake or when any chances of transferring would be nonexistent.

Again, thank you. And yes, I'll definitely tell him to fuck off :)

Lamullinga

New

Post by Lamullinga » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:15 am

lawman84 wrote: That's messed up. I think taking a leave of absence is at minimum a good idea. Dropping out might also be a good idea. If you can improve your LSAT, you can get into a better school. If you bump your LSAT up a bit, you could probably get a full ride to UF and FSU if you didn't go to a t14 school.

If you want a career in public interest, getting a full ride is definitely helpful.(although, top schools do have LRAP...but I know a lot of people feel more comfortable without having debt hanging over their head)

Florida can be a tough market for "outsiders." It sounds like you do have some ties, which is good. Again, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.
Thank you. Scholarships are a big reason why I was glad to attend my current LS. I'm not scared of debt, but I know it can be a major burden. What worries me is that there aren't many options for the kind of work I wanted to do (public interest immigration) in FL (plus the contacts I have are more in the community organizing side), so probably I would have to do private practice. But it's not the end of the world :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”