Invited to Interview at T50 Law firm... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AnonUser777

New

Invited to Interview at T50 Law firm...

Post by AnonUser777 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:04 pm

I'm a 1L student at a T14 law school. I've been invited to interview with a Vault T50 firm. I have no grades yet, so what should I focus on in my interview? My last final is the 15th, I drive up and interview on the 16th. Was not expecting to be interviewing at firms in a week...

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Invited to Interview at T50 Law firm...

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 pm

I wouldn't stress over it too much. It will likely be pretty conversational. Be ready to talk about your resume and the classes you took this semester, maybe why you came to law school. Have a few questions about the firm. And of course just be polite and professional. In the meantime, focus on finals.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:26 pm

You're in a good place. You don't know shyt about practice (srs), so you can literally ask almost anything you want. Just be engaged, easy to talk to, look professional, and good luck

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Have a basic idea of what area you'd like to practice in (lit v. transactional), they'll probably ask. To that end, research a bit on what their most common practice areas are, you don't want to say you're interested in tax if the firm has 2 tax people.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:31 pm

I offer you the same advice I gave my 1L self, spend your every waking moment preparing for this incredible grab the brass ring interview. Why this firm?... Why this city?... Why everything else you can think of. If you succeed you will bypass (as I hear it) the horribleness of OCI and mass mailing. There are numerous nifty side benefits if you nail it.

lstrw

New

Post by lstrw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 pm

thegrayman wrote:Have a basic idea of what area you'd like to practice in (lit v. transactional), they'll probably ask. To that end, research a bit on what their most common practice areas are, you don't want to say you're interested in tax if the firm has 2 tax people.
I agree with the last part -- don't tell them you're interested in a practice area that barely, if any, presence, in this office (make sure to research the current office), but there is no need for you to know what practice area you're interested in, and if they ask, just say you don't know yet. Lawyers' view of 1Ls (and law students in general, for that matter), is that they may be smart and have some understanding of the law -- but no real understanding of biglaw practice, the different kinds of practice areas, or any practical skills yet. No one will expect you to know what you want to do. Talk about other stuff - law school, life, their professional interests, experience, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”