Taking bar exam and not taking evidence Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
umichman

Bronze

Taking bar exam and not taking evidence

Post by umichman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:08 am

I'm contemplating not taking evidence because I want to take q different class. How bad is this for the bar exam? Can I learn all bar exam evidence stuff without taking it in school?

drs36

Bronze

Re: Taking bar exam and not taking evidence

Post by drs36 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 am

Yes, you can learn what you need to pass from a bar prep class. However, evidence would be the #1 bar class I'd recommend taking in law school. Useful, and will make bar exam study a lot easier on you.

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:11 am

I would definitely take evidence.

My view, and I know others disagree, is that you should take a fair number of "bar exam subjects." It will make your life easier come bar exam time.

2L2soon

New

Post by 2L2soon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:59 am

In addition to evidence, bar classes I wish I'd taken to at least become familiar with the material are: Wills, Trusts and Estates, and Secured Transactions.

Edit: But there's a caveat. A lot of the material I learned in law school for bar- subjects were not even taught in bar prep or tested on the bar. For example, in my 1L Property class, land-sale contracts and mortgages were not even mentioned, however on the bar it was the #1 tested topic.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am

Take it. Especially because your post history suggests you are a 3L (and are thus less likely to forget the subject matter prior to bar review). I would second 2L2soon's advice w/r/t Wills and Trusts. I'm in CA, so can't speak to sec. trans.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 pm

filibuster wrote:I would definitely take evidence.

My view, and I know others disagree, is that you should take a fair number of "bar exam subjects." It will make your life easier come bar exam time.
I think this is true, but with a caveat: the closer you take them to the exam, the easier it will be to study. Seems obvious, but I took several classes 2L year that were bar subjects and I remembered virtually nothing 12-18 months later. I was pretty shocked that they didn't come back to me more quickly than they did; it was as if I had zero base in the subject. Also agree that evidence would be far and away #1 along with con law depending on whether your school requires the latter.

ETA: I actually wouldn't bother with secured transactions. It's rarely tested (I say that having just taken the July exam and realizing it was tested twice this year) and would only be an essay. You can learn the fundamentals quickly in bar review. I wouldn't take it unless you're interested in the subject.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

You can survive learning something for the bar without taking it in law school (hello anything to do with money). But I took evidence 3L and it was by far one of my easiest subjects for bar study, and people who didn't take it in school really struggled with it on the bar. Depends on how much the other course means to you. (Personally I think it was the most valuable course I took in law school, but obviously if you're not doing lit you'd feel differently.)

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
filibuster wrote:I would definitely take evidence.

I think this is true, but with a caveat: the closer you take them to the exam, the easier it will be to study. Seems obvious, but I took several classes 2L year that were bar subjects and I remembered virtually nothing 12-18 months later. I was pretty shocked that they didn't come back to me more quickly than they did; it was as if I had zero base in the subject. Also agree that evidence would be far and away #1 along with con law depending on whether your school requires the latter.

ETA: I actually wouldn't bother with secured transactions. It's rarely tested (I say that having just taken the July exam and realizing it was tested twice this year) and would only be an essay. You can learn the fundamentals quickly in bar review. I wouldn't take it unless you're interested in the subject.
Thanks for all the replies. I decided Im gonna take it

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can survive learning something for the bar without taking it in law school (hello anything to do with money). But I took evidence 3L and it was by far one of my easiest subjects for bar study, and people who didn't take it in school really struggled with it on the bar. Depends on how much the other course means to you. (Personally I think it was the most valuable course I took in law school, but obviously if you're not doing lit you'd feel differently.)
I'm not in lit but I'm doing a kind of niche area and could see myself doing a clerkship in future so maybe some lit. With that in mind I'm gonna take the class. The other course is interesting but nothing so important. TLS hasnt steereed me wrong yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 pm

To be honest, I actually found evidence pretty interesting. It's interesting to learn the rationale underlying a lot of the evidentiary rules in the FRE and why a lot of the hearsay exceptions/exemptions exist. I expected to hate it and I actually kind of enjoyed it.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Definitely take evidence, trying to learn hearsay for the first time during bar prep would be a huge pain in the ass.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

I am debating taking either Evidence or Wills, Trusts during my final semester this coming Spring. I am taking the CA bar exam, and I only see myself ever doing trans work. I am sure I will find Evidence fun, but I also think knowing Wills could be more practical when giving family and friends advice later down the road.

Seems like the vast majority of people on TLS think Evidence is the best elective class to take in law school. It would be nice to hear some more opinions on why that is.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:40 pm

Because it's fundamental to litigation.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:(Personally I think it was the most valuable course I took in law school, but obviously if you're not doing lit you'd feel differently.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boltsfan

New

Post by Boltsfan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:31 pm

anon3030 wrote:I am debating taking either Evidence or Wills, Trusts during my final semester this coming Spring. I am taking the CA bar exam, and I only see myself ever doing trans work. I am sure I will find Evidence fun, but I also think knowing Wills could be more practical when giving family and friends advice later down the road.

Seems like the vast majority of people on TLS think Evidence is the best elective class to take in law school. It would be nice to hear some more opinions on why that is.
Evidence WILL be on the CA bar exam; it is an MBE subject and could very likely show up in the essays as well. Wills and Trusts may or may not be.

Evidence is a fun class that is pretty noticeably different from other law school classes in that it is problem-based rather than case-based. I think the reps you get working through evidence during the class are invaluable and you will really miss them come bar study time if you decide against taking the class. Wills and Trusts, depending on your school, is likely to be taught by an adjunct practitioner and is very likely to be boring as hell. The class is likely to be practical if estate planning is your intended area of practice, but it's going to be overkill for what the bar expects you to know and I really can't emphasize the boring part enough.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:51 pm

anon3030 wrote:I am debating taking either Evidence or Wills, Trusts during my final semester this coming Spring. I am taking the CA bar exam, and I only see myself ever doing trans work. I am sure I will find Evidence fun, but I also think knowing Wills could be more practical when giving family and friends advice later down the road.

Like all classes, what you learn in a wills and trusts class will not be sufficient to help a relative create a complicated trust. The basics of wills you can easily learn during bar prep. Or you can buy a treatise and teach yourself later on.

As others mentioned, evidence is one of those classes that will make your life easier if you've taken it ahead of time. There's just so much material to learn and seeing it for the first time during bar prep is gonna be incredibly overwhelming.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:39 pm

crumb cake wrote:What about tax or admin law? Are they on the bar?
Not in CA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:50 pm

If you're going transactional you need to at least understand the very basic concepts of tax. Probably the same with Admin if doing some kind of regulatory practice. Not a lawyer (disclaimer).

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:12 pm

star fox wrote:
If you're going transactional you need to at least understand the very basic concepts of tax. Probably the same with Admin if doing some kind of regulatory practice. Not a lawyer (disclaimer).
Agreed (from a junior lawyer's perspective). For a transactional lawyer, Evidence and maybe Crim Pro are the only bar courses you need to take. The rest of your schedule should be tax, accounting, securities, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”