Buying supplements and casebooks Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anonQs2019

New

Buying supplements and casebooks

Post by anonQs2019 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Hello all,

I am a soon to be a 1L looking through a list of required text for class. In addition to buying a textbook, I am also looking for supplement texts for each class, however I'm a little confused on the difference between a casebook and a supplement text. For instance, if our professors recommends a casebook to go a long with the text book, should I still look to grab a supplement-text for that class?

Thanks for your help,
Froogle student trying to save money.

z0mbiecatz1234

New

Re: Buying supplements and casebooks

Post by z0mbiecatz1234 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Casebooks are the main textbooks for class. If the professor recommends a specific study aid, I would definitely go for that one over others. Overall, I've found Emanuel study aids to be particularly helpful, BUT I also was too quick to buy study aids and didn't even open 90% of them lol. Don't worry too too much about these. Try to find a few solid ones total instead of panicking and getting every type of study aid available (like I did). Any classes you're looking at specifically? I can make recommendations based on classes!

Edit: Supplements can come in different forms. Typically, they will break down the material in more digestible language than a casebook. It explains concepts apart from the cases you will find in most casebooks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”