Book recommendations before starting law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Paulaaxox

New

Book recommendations before starting law school

Post by Paulaaxox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:17 am

I was wondering if anyone has any book recommendations/study guides that can be helpful for someone who is just about to start their 1L.
I'm not looking for anything intensive, but something along the lines of introductory books, that have general information about each topic.

The topic's I'm specifically interested in are: Torts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, and Contracts.

Thanks!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Book recommendations before starting law school

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 am

Getting to Maybe is an extremely helpful book on how to take exams. They'll teach you all those subjects at school - but they won't teach you the skill of how to take an exam.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Getting to Maybe is an extremely helpful book on how to take exams. They'll teach you all those subjects at school - but they won't teach you the skill of how to take an exam.
Getting to Maybe is good. I would re-read it though after your first round of exams. (or after a midterm if you're lucky enough to have something like that as a test drive during your 1L)

I wouldn't waste your time trying to learn basics of any 1L classes this summer honestly. It likely won't help and you should really be enjoying your last summer of free time. Pick a book to read for leisure and enjoy it while you can :D

If you want supplements to help you during the year (I would not recommend reading them ahead of time -- use them for clarification as you prep during school) the Chirelstein Contracts supplement is great. Freer for Civil Procedure. Chemerinsky for Con law. And I really liked the E&E for Torts (I forget who wrote that one). good luck with 1L!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:52 pm

GTM is most useful around exam period. You won't get as much out of it now. Watch Rashomon now, think about it and then watch it again after your first week of school. Try to imagine one case from each class playing out like Rashomon. Profit.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:51 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:GTM is most useful around exam period. You won't get as much out of it now.
I disagree. Knowing even a little bit about how to take an exam before classes begin can help you take notes in a more efficient way. If you know to look out for forks, for example, you can highlight each little case that distinguishes the main case. Read it again before exams, for sure, but I think it's helpful now (or really, in August), as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Don't read anything law or law school related. You'll thank me later.

BaileyJohnson

New

Post by BaileyJohnson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:02 pm

rwhyAn wrote:Don't read anything law or law school related. You'll thank me later.
No. Just no.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 pm

BaileyJohnson wrote:
rwhyAn wrote:Don't read anything law or law school related. You'll thank me later.
No. Just no.
Why? Prep is absolutely not necessary.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:
No. Just no.
Why? Prep is absolutely not necessary.
^^

OP just read some stuff for fun, because you won't want to when you're reading for classes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:37 am

People have strong opinions on preparing for law school. Of course, it's by no means required to do well, but if it would make you feel more comfortable starting off, I think it's not a bad idea.

I found One L of a Ride by Andrew McClurg to be the most helpful and readable 1L guide.

Mixed feelings on reading GTM before starting school. All of its examples are based in substantive law, which might not mean much to you until a little later in the semester. I think it can't hurt to skim it to get the idea, but on the whole, I didn't find it particularly useful to pick up until about October of 1L.

Most people would not suggest learning any substantive law, and I think that's probably a good idea on the whole, but if you want a good overview of the major principles of the 1L courses, I suggest Law 101.

Spending your 0L summer reading books about law school and reading for fun are not mutually exclusive. I did a lot of law school prep stuff--read a lot of books and did LawPreview--but I also binged a bunch of shows, traveled abroad, and read probably 10-12 books for fun. You can have it both ways if you want.

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

What about the Constitution? Is there any benefit to studying it inside and out?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:52 pm

twokings wrote:What about the Constitution? Is there any benefit to studying it inside and out?
No. You'll learn what you need to know in school. I don't think I'd ever read it before I started (bad American, I know).

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
twokings wrote:What about the Constitution? Is there any benefit to studying it inside and out?
No. You'll learn what you need to know in school. I don't think I'd ever read it before I started (bad American, I know).

I still haven't read most/all of it.

In fact, I JUST found out what the 11th Amendment was. Had no idea that was a thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm

On topic, I thought it was helpful to skim GTM around the start (knowing you won't understand it) then reading it again closer to exams where you will actually understand it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm

sublime wrote:On topic, I thought it was helpful to skim GTM around the start (knowing you won't understand it) then reading it again closer to exams where you will actually understand it.
Agree with this.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:09 pm

sublime wrote:On topic, I thought it was helpful to skim GTM around the start (knowing you won't understand it) then reading it again closer to exams where you will actually understand it.
+1

I'm about halfway through GTM(and I'm an 0L) and not all of it makes sense but it's not tough to grasp the overall ideas they are talking about. I think I'll be much better off knowing what to look for from day one in class rather than playing catch up.

I definitely plan on reading it again during the semester

Charlestonsfb60

New

Post by Charlestonsfb60 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 pm

New Harry Potter is released at end of July. I would devour that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Agree with this.
Also strongly agree. Skimming it over the summer (or just as classes start) will give your brain at least a general sense for what will be expected of you on exams. Without that, the first few weeks of class are likely to feel even more insane, because you'll be totally without context for how the rules you're learning will be implicated on exams.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 am

I read:
-1L of a Ride: helpful to understand the competitive nature of law school
-GTM: summed up as 'forest through the trees' or something like that. I thought the book was a bit long
-Ivy Briefs: probably unnecessary, but I was pumped for law school

Paged through the supplements I bought for 1L (just to become familiar with terms):
-Torts E&E
-Con Law- Chemerinsky
-CivPro E&E

Listened to LEEWS: did not find the audio helpful, but perhaps the book would be.

It's hard to 'learn the law' before law school because your professor writes the exam and chooses what you need to focus on. Like, they may be a big fan of policy instead of BLL.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:I read:
-1L of a Ride: helpful to understand the competitive nature of law school
-GTM: summed up as 'forest through the trees' or something like that. I thought the book was a bit long
-Ivy Briefs: probably unnecessary, but I was pumped for law school

Paged through the supplements I bought for 1L (just to become familiar with terms):
-Torts E&E
-Con Law- Chemerinsky
-CivPro E&E

Listened to LEEWS: did not find the audio helpful, but perhaps the book would be.

It's hard to 'learn the law' before law school because your professor writes the exam and chooses what you need to focus on. Like, they may be a big fan of policy instead of BLL.
I read the Torts E&E (sort of randomly picked torts, but it turned out to be a good one since the topics are more intuitive than say, Civ Pro). I didn't have Torts until the 2nd semester and I don't think it helped me in the class BUT it did give me a good introduction to legal thought in general which did help my first semester, and it was kind of fun.....

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

Googling "how to brief a case" sometime in August usually works out fine

dj_spin

New

Post by dj_spin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:21 am

I liked Breaking Down the Curve. I thought it was funny and I appreciated that it was short.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”