Should I call an adjunct “professor”? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheHungerGames

New

Should I call an adjunct “professor”?

Post by TheHungerGames » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Should I call an adjunct “professor xx” or "Ms./Mr. xx"? He is an mid-level associate from a law firm.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Re: Should I call an adjunct “professor”?

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm

You are aware that "adjunct" is shorthand for "adjunct professor," right? You have the answer already, I promise!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Great thread I look forward to your career on TLS

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:01 pm

look them dead in the eye and use their first name

don't blink

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:30 pm

TheHungerGames wrote:Should I call an adjunct “professor xx” or "Ms./Mr. xx"? He is an mid-level associate from a law firm.
First name. I've never referred to someone as "professor" in law school unless they were like 80 or they called me "Mr. xx"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:57 pm

If V10, professor.

Anything other than that, first name.

edit - oh nm, hes only a midlevel. first name.

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:59 pm

philepistemer wrote:
TheHungerGames wrote:Should I call an adjunct “professor xx” or "Ms./Mr. xx"? He is an mid-level associate from a law firm.
First name. I've never referred to someone as "professor" in law school unless they were like 80 or they called me "Mr. xx"
That's weird... Do you go to a Montessori law school?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:01 am

robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
hey now let's be nice to Yale

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:05 am

robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
No, it's that I'm an adult, so I don't address people formally unless they do the same for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:10 am

philepistemer wrote:
robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
No, it's that I'm an adult, so I don't address people formally unless they do the same for me.
Lol

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 am

always professor -- you'll never go wrong showing respect. and adjunct professors eat it up, because they don't always get respect at their day job.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:14 am

philepistemer wrote:
robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
An adult doesn't need to refer to themselves as an "adult."

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:16 am

Call them whatever their name is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:18 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:
Yeah IMO Professor X or Mr. X would be a really weird thing to call someone who has a name.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsofthelidd

New

Post by starsofthelidd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:39 am

rcharter1978 wrote:always professor -- you'll never go wrong showing respect. and adjunct professors eat it up, because they don't always get respect at their day job.
I was an adjunct. My title was lecturer. I told my students to call me by my first name.

"Respect" is fine and all, but the only people I cared about calling me professor were university administrators, so I'd get the raise that would come along with the title.

OP, many of my students ended up calling me Professor X, just "Professor," or Dr. X, even though I explicitly and repeatedly told them that first-name basis was fine. You can opt for more formality if you're more comfortable with it.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 am

philepistemer wrote: No, it's that I'm an adult, so I don't address people formally unless they do the same for me.

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Yeah IMO Professor X or Mr. X would be a really weird thing to call someone who has a name.
So you wouldn't address an MD as Dr. X? Or a senator as Senator X? Or a Supreme Court Justice as Justice X? Surely you wouldn't call Justice Ginsberg "Ruth", especially if she was teaching one of your classes or fielding questions at an event.

There's nothing wrong with using a respectful honorific to address someone who's earned it, no matter your age or theirs. You won't hurt your relationship with them, but could definitely harm it by using a first name. I've had Professors who say "call me Jim" or whatever, and that's when you know you're safe. I'd advise caution with anyone whose opinion can influence your GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am

GreatBraffsby wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
So you wouldn't address an MD as Dr. X? Or a senator as Senator X? Or a Supreme Court Justice as Justice X? Surely you wouldn't call Justice Ginsberg "Ruth", especially if she was teaching one of your classes or fielding questions at an event.

There's nothing wrong with using a respectful honorific to address someone who's earned it, no matter your age or theirs. You won't hurt your relationship with them, but could definitely harm it by using a first name. I've had Professors who say "call me Jim" or whatever, and that's when you know you're safe. I'd advise caution with anyone whose opinion can influence your GPA.
1. He was clearly joking and made a reference to Professor X from X Men.
2. Analogizing an adjunct to a SCOTUS Justice or Senator seems dumb.
3. Advise deez nuts, fam

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:34 am

starsofthelidd wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:always professor -- you'll never go wrong showing respect. and adjunct professors eat it up, because they don't always get respect at their day job.
I was an adjunct. My title was lecturer. I told my students to call me by my first name.

"Respect" is fine and all, but the only people I cared about calling me professor were university administrators, so I'd get the raise that would come along with the title.

OP, many of my students ended up calling me Professor X, just "Professor," or Dr. X, even though I explicitly and repeatedly told them that first-name basis was fine. You can opt for more formality if you're more comfortable with it.
this. how is this even a question? if the prof doesn't say anything, use prof because maybe they care. when they say to use their first name, use it. don't yall know how to interact with adults?

quoted for stars of the lid handle.

sollos

Bronze

Post by sollos » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:13 am

philepistemer wrote:
robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
How do people get into law school while being this ignorant?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:27 am

GreatBraffsby wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

1. He was clearly joking and made a reference to Professor X from X Men.
2. Analogizing an adjunct to a SCOTUS Justice or Senator seems dumb.
3. Advise deez nuts, fam
Thanks boo <3
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:16 pm

sollos wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
robotrick wrote:
philepistemer wrote:
How do people get into law school while being this ignorant?
Not only did I get in, but they're giving me a degree.

Look 0L, you're going to a professional school. How do you think professionals treat each other in the workplace? When you're in a law firm, the partners will call you Mr. xx if they want to be addressed as Mr. xx. Otherwise, you call them by their first name. Professors mainly expect the same thing, and if they don't they're either like 80 or they are DBs who love the power.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:14 pm

philepistemer wrote:

Look 0L, you're going to a professional school. How do you think professionals treat each other in the workplace? When you're in a law firm, the partners will call you Mr. xx if they want to be addressed as Mr. xx. Otherwise, you call them by their first name. Professors mainly expect the same thing, and if they don't they're either like 80 or they are DBs who love the power.
A school setting is different from a work setting. You ought to address a Professor as Professor [insert name] unless you know they prefer something different. Some professors will not care one way or the other, but some will, so why piss them off?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:21 pm

I think everyone is overlooking an important point here

if you just address him as "professor" you don't actually have to learn his name

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:25 am

Avian wrote:
philepistemer wrote:

A school setting is different from a work setting. You ought to address a Professor as Professor [insert name] unless you know they prefer something different. Some professors will not care one way or the other, but some will, so why piss them off?
I think it's degrading act of submission to address someone formally unless they do the same for me. Some people don't mind subordination so much, and to each her/his own. If I'm going to compromise my principles I better be getting paid for it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”