Quotes from Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
panda

Bronze

Re: Quotes from Law School

Post by panda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

LOVE my civ pro professor.

Prof: I will entertain some questions right now, but like I said I am in a rush today, so if there isn't something burning and extremely relevant, wait till after class

Gunner: Well, it might not be completely relevant but..

Class laughs, Prof chuckles and says: But you're going to ask anyway..

*continues with question relating civ pro to contracts.. *

Prof: Don't bring Contracts into this! I HATE contracts! Offer, acceptance, i don't know what.. Maybe it's because i was taught Contracts by Antonin Scalia.. that might have something to do with it! I didn't learn a thing from him!!

Class is roaring with laughter at this point..

Prof to Gunner: And you were right, it was irrelevant.. *continues with lesson..*

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

como wrote:Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.
haha. i figured you would come on here too. i know! and "gunner" handled it with much stride.. but you can't say the moniker isn't accurate..

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 am

panda wrote:
como wrote:Hey now, 'gunner' hasn't been bad this semester at all.
haha. i figured you would come on here too. i know! and "gunner" handled it with much stride.. but you can't say the moniker isn't accurate..
I personally like the quote from property today better:

[Talking about a defendant who built a wall that encroached on a neighbor's property by 1 3/8"]

Professor: "Sometimes money can't make up for that 1 3/8 of an inch"

There are rarely 'that's what she said' moments as good as that.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Old-grandfatherly-Canadian-Justice-Torts Teacher: "There's basically 2 kinds of intent. You can be intentionally shooting your gun (he's miming the action) at a range and someone walks into your shots, or you can be shooting your gun, yelling "Die bitch!", and when you shoot her, that would be the other kind of intent."

Contracts teacher discussing Alaska Packers Case dealing with modification said, "I actually have a picture of the packers from the case if you guys want to see?" [class says yea sure] he clicks his computer and T-Pain's IM ON A BOAT with andy sandberg starts playin- watched the video before starting the case. Awesome :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Old-grandfatherly-Canadian-Justice-Torts Teacher: "There's basically 2 kinds of intent. You can be intentionally shooting your gun (he's miming the action) at a range and someone walks into your shots, or you can be shooting your gun, yelling "Die bitch!", and when you shoot her, that would be the other kind of intent."

Contracts teacher discussing Alaska Packers Case dealing with modification said, "I actually have a picture of the packers from the case if you guys want to see?" [class says yea sure] he clicks his computer and T-Pain's IM ON A BOAT with andy sandberg starts playin- watched the video before starting the case. Awesome :D
Epic Win Professor!!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 pm

lishi wrote:
"I sure hope you don't think I'm sniffing because I just snorted some cocaine before class"
hahah that one made me laugh at loud. I couldn't ever imagine a teacher saying that lol.
I loved that one and the "my goat is drunk" one hahahahaha. Made my evening.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Rocky Estoppel wrote:Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

"You saw me messing with Cox, playing with Cox, and then you just have to step in because you want a part of that action! What do you do?"
OMG HAHAHA did everyone bust out laughing? Please tell me the prof realized the joke...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:Civ Pro Professor talking about Intervention the other day. A student's last name was Cox that he had just talked to. He calls on a new student and says this:

OMG HAHAHA did everyone bust out laughing? Please tell me the prof realized the joke...
I don't think the Professor realized what he was saying. :lol:

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Rocky Estoppel wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I don't think the Professor realized what he was saying. :lol:
Not even that "oh crap, I just realized what I said" moment? Because those are the BEST.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
(He was talking about self-defense as justification for intentional homicide)

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

You know, after hearing all the doom and gloom about the prospects of an up-and-coming law student, you all have breathed new life into law school for me. I no longer see dusty tomes and my eyelids weighted with high debt and a bleak outlook for actual employement.....well, ok, I still see that, but at least I get to be entertained for my 40k a year! This thread is, in the TLS lexicon, "epic!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Philaw wrote:You know, after hearing all the doom and gloom about the prospects of an up-and-coming law student, you all have breathed new life into law school for me. I no longer see dusty tomes and my eyelids weighted with high debt and a bleak outlook for actual employement.....well, ok, I still see that, but at least I get to be entertained for my 40k a year! This thread is, in the TLS lexicon, "epic!"
There ya go! Approach law school as a very expensive comedy club!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:08 pm

A few gems from Civ Pro:

"Sometimes the free market needs to be corrected, like when everybody went broke the other day and we had a bailout."

"There's not much law in Arizona."

Prof: What is the York Outcome Determinative Test, Ms. xxxxx?
Student: I'm sorry, could you repeat the question? I was working on my memo.
Prof: Well you should have let me know, I would have left you alone.

Later, discussing legal writing - "You'll learn on the job How to Write a Brief. You learn on the job from people who actually know how to do this stuff."

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 pm

"don't fight the hypo."

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:03 pm

more.... NEED more...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm

lietx3 wrote:more.... NEED more...
You think this shit grows on trees?

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 pm

My torts professor wrote "cvnt not to sue" on the board.

My section is very immature. It's great!

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Talking about the Rule Against Perpetuities:

Professor: "So what I like to do is kill everyone off. B is childless."
Classmate: "You mean A?"
Professor: "No, I don't make mistakes. I meant A and B. In fact, A and B are having a hot and heavy affair. Both are childless, B gets pregnant. Dies in childbirth. No, wait, ok, so B gives birth, walks outside gets struck by a bus. No, wait. Ok, B gives birth and is then struck by lightning. Its like that movie that went straight to DVD, where everyone dies."
Classmate: "2012?"
Professor: "Right, 2012. Everyone dies, except for a few people, because there has to be someone left to own the property."
Me: *Update FB status to LOLWTF?*

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

First day of Torts with super important and kind of scary professor:

Prof: "So *Anna*, why didn't the court believe they did not recklessly disregard the potential danger to land entrants?
Me: Uh..well..there was a sign, but it was obscured and very rusty...and the fence was broken...
Prof: But what was the OBVIOUS sign?
Me: Uh, they didn't make any effort to rebuild the fence........?
PROF: OR it could have been the fact that THREE people DIED?!
Me: Yep. That would do it.

LOL - oops for forgetting how to pay attention to material facts in my casebook during a month of Christmas break.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Crim law professor is in the middle of posing a hypo to a student.

A cell phone is LOUDLY ringing in the class and everyone is nervously looking around to see who it is. Prof stops talking and squints and looks around the room.

Prof: "Oh shit."
*takes phone out of pocket*
"It's my phone! Uhh..."
*tries to silence it but it keeps ringing*
*answers phone*
Prof: "Hey I'm in class I'll have to call you back."
*class laughs hysterically*
"That was President Obama. He was calling to offer me the seat on the Supreme Court, but he'll just have to wait for me to call him back later. I'm busy right now."

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

The Dan wrote:I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

"Vampires, warewolves, marines, badasses of whatever sort coming at you. You've gotta shoot to kill."
See Bluebook rule 1.5 for help in constructing an effective parenthetical. The shouldn't be obvious.

/bluebook douche

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
The Dan wrote:I sat in on Judge Lynch's criminal law class during Columbia's admitted student days and heard this gem:

See Bluebook rule 1.5 for help in constructing an effective parenthetical. The shouldn't be obvious.

/bluebook douche
Since I'm still an 0L, I reserve the right to ignore any and all bluebook guidelines.

como

Silver

Post by como » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 am

The Dan wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

/bluebook douche
Since I'm still an 0L, I reserve the right to ignore any and all bluebook guidelines.
As a 1L, I also reserve the right to ignore and and all bluebook rules when posting on an internet forum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”