property rant Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unclej

New

property rant

Post by unclej » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:35 pm

hey guys
is it normal that I feel so lost in property? week 2 just finished and once again, I have no idea what the hell is going on.

this is an online school and my first year was contracts, criminal law, and torts. All of those courses were common sense.

but property: It's just a bunch of big words that I dont understand and a bunch of rules from the 1400s that I dont see the point of.

to show you how I feel, I will tell you some rules:
A --->>> B
but if B <<--<< C then D <>~ F
but F --->>> D
so T <><><> D and R <><> D
if D >>>>>---- >>>> A
F <<<<< D
D <<<<--- < E
E >>> ---- G

see? just a bunch of rules and you have no idea what the hell I am talking about. That's how I feel about property.

And they keep naming things "this is CALLED a remainder, this other thing is CALLED a future interest, this other thing is CALLED vested, this other thing is CALLED subject to condition subsequent" I am scratching my head "ok, the point is?" I have gilbert and understanding property law and I read both and I still dont get it. And I just read through some property multiple choice questions in Strategies and Tactics book and I couldn't do a single one, no question seems even familiar. For example in a contract question I can tell "ok, this is testing prospective inability to perform, impossibility, maybe frustration of purpose?" in these property questions, I cant even begin to think, I don't know what they are testing, it doesn't seem familiar.

is this normal or am I stupid? How do I get over this confusion?

mt2165

Silver

Re: property rant

Post by mt2165 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:45 pm

I am of the opinion that property, from a pedagogic standpoint, is pretty stupid. It's trenched in antiquity and doesn't make much sense. It doesn't help that much of case material is pretty confusing and overly complicated. I got through it by getting a good supplement and running through a bunch of concrete examples. HTH.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm

This is not uncommon, especially if your case book is Dukeminier. Get the understanding supplement by sprankling and everything will be better.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:This is not uncommon, especially if your case book is Dukeminier. Get the understanding supplement by sprankling and everything will be better.
The Emanuels keyed to the book isn't half bad either, but the Understand book + an old A outline is gold.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Yeah that's the other one I used. You can get away with not even reading the casebook at all if you have that supp. It's not great but it's better than the casebook.

Fun fact: the author of the emmanuels book/the second dukeminier guy is the father of Andrew "party hard" W.K.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:46 pm

The E&E was particularly helpful to me, but I could say that for almost every class.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:33 pm

I ended up loving property and did well in it but had no fucking clue what was going on the first month or so. you'll be ok, it's normal to not know wtf is going on the first couple weeks of any class, imo, but it'll click.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”