Should I Drop? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
eagle2a

Bronze

Should I Drop?

Post by eagle2a » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:26 am

Haven't even started classes yet and have come to the realization that his whole law school thing completely blows. I'll be spending countless hours reading/doing other bullshit and spending a ton of my parents money all the while having no guarantee of even getting a job, let a lone a decent job. Should I drop? I'm going to SMU, no debt

twenty

Gold

Re: Should I Drop?

Post by twenty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:36 am

eagle2a wrote:Haven't even started classes yet and have come to the realization that his whole law school thing completely blows. I'll be spending countless hours reading/doing other bullshit and spending a ton of my parents money all the while having no guarantee of even getting a job, let a lone a decent job. Should I drop? I'm going to SMU, no debt
Yes. Ask your parents to fund a down payment on a home instead or something.

Freebot

New

Post by Freebot » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 am

If your main complaint is about doing bullshit, welcome to life. OTOH, unless SMU happens to be a strong regional, you have connections that can land you a job, or you have a technical background and don't mind doing patent prosecution, going to SMU is bad bet.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Ya if you can recoup your first semester tuition, fuck it and bail my friend

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:13 am

Freebot wrote:If your main complaint is about doing bullshit, welcome to life. OTOH, unless SMU happens to be a strong regional, you have connections that can land you a job, or you have a technical background and don't mind doing patent prosecution, going to SMU is bad bet.
FWIW, SMU is a strong regional, so long as you consider that region to be DFW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:03 am

If you haven't even started classes and you want out, don't waste your time and your (or your parent's) money.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Fuck, I should have just dropped. This shit completely blows. What are my job prospects like if i'm below median? Can I at least get some shit law position or am i completely fucked

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm

eagle2a wrote:Fuck, I should have just dropped. This shit completely blows. What are my job prospects like if i'm below median? Can I at least get some shit law position or am i completely fucked
You could probably get some job, but why prepare for a failure you can stop from happening?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:47 pm

eagle2a wrote:Fuck, I should have just dropped. This shit completely blows. What are my job prospects like if i'm below median? Can I at least get some shit law position or am i completely fucked
Why do you want that, there are lots of jobs outside of law. Like, the vast majority of jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Finish the term out and decide then if you want to drop.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:01 am

In terms of studying, what are you guys's thought on reading case summaries instead of the casebook? Also, I'm certainly not aiming for shit law but I always think in terms of the worst case scenario, which can get pretty depressing at times

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:07 am

Just drop out now and cut your losses. Do it tomorrow. Its an expensive mistake. But you'll be done with it.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:24 am

flawschoolkid wrote:Just drop out now and cut your losses. Do it tomorrow. Its an expensive mistake. But you'll be done with it.
I mean I'd at least recommend getting grades and seeing from there, but reading OP's posts makes me die a little inside. OP - if you hate your life and can't stand it, you won't regret dropping out but you're going to regret staying in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:50 am

eagle2a wrote:In terms of studying, what are you guys's thought on reading case summaries instead of the casebook? Also, I'm certainly not aiming for shit law but I always think in terms of the worst case scenario, which can get pretty depressing at times
If you're a cynic and care about the outcome then you're better off thinking about your life today, not life in ten years from now. Focus on getting better at applying the laws you're learning in class to facts, not on what will happen 5 years from now if you do poorly on exams. Reading summaries is fine, and use the saved time to do practice questions rather than sit and worry. If you get comfortable applying law to fact then you'll be ahead of most people.

fieryking

New

Post by fieryking » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 am

you sound pathetic, quitting law school isn't going to magically make your life better. fix your character

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:41 am

fieryking wrote:you sound pathetic, quitting law school isn't going to magically make your life better. fix your character
That's constructive.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm

If you are still reading all of the cases, then your feelings are understandable. Case summaries can work if you take notes in class & use supplements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:02 pm

OP's post history suggests that his heart really isn't in this whole law school thing. Which is obviously fine, but he probably should drop out now.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 pm

What I might do is drop out, retake the LSAT a few years from now, and maybe come back if you feel like you'd want to give it another shot. In the meantime, work out a deal with your parents where you get to keep the money they would have otherwise spent on SMU but for your new fancy future scholarship/dropping out.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
fieryking wrote:you sound pathetic, quitting law school isn't going to magically make your life better. fix your character
That's constructive.
I think "isn't going to magically make your life better" is a fair point in a lot of circumstances. I think people may be quick to pull the "drop out" trigger here at the slightest sign that a person doesn't love law school*. Since you've already paid for the semester, you should definitely at least see how you do before. If grades are good, should give it the full year and see if you like whatever you do over the summer.

*unless that person has a clear plan for immediately entering into another industry. This is more if that plan is just "chill at parents house and maybe get a job at Starbucks." And let's be real here - his parents aren't just going to give a pool of money that would have gone towards Education in the form of Liquid cash or buy him a house. I don't think people really behave this way.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Yeah, "isn't magically going to make your life better" is a fair point. It was more the calling someone pathetic part I objected to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:09 pm

If the "no debt" is because of a full scholarship plus QoL stipend/work study, then dropping out won't necessarily (or 'magically') improve OP's life, it will actually challenge them to find an alternative in an immediate sense. If it's because his or her parents are paying for tuition and cost of living, then leaving law school could very well improve OP's stature in a material sense (whether they are just a generically unhappy person is another matter, but I don't think you can truly gather that from a few tls posts). You have to consider the underlying structure. OP can live with generous parental support and pursue other career opportunities at their leisure without the daily and existential drain that is attending a law school you loathe. With these life advantages, what makes one miserable is pursuing activities and an education one doesn't value.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:23 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If the "no debt" is because of a full scholarship plus QoL stipend/work study, then dropping out won't necessarily (or 'magically') improve OP's life, it will actually challenge them to find an alternative in an immediate sense. If it's because his or her parents are paying for tuition and cost of living, then leaving law school could very well improve OP's stature in a material sense (whether they are just a generically unhappy person is another matter, but I don't think you can truly gather that from a few tls posts). You have to consider the underlying structure. OP can live with generous parental support and pursue other career opportunities at their leisure without the daily and existential drain that is attending a law school you loathe. With these life advantages, what makes one miserable is pursuing activities and an education one doesn't value.
I think you're making a false assumption that because the parents have the means to pay $210K or whatever (less whatever scholarship OP may have) that means they will allow OP to live in a perpetual state of "generous parental support." Like I guess it's possible, but I don't think it's uncommon for UMC families to behave in a way where they'll be generous with educational expenses but not just serve as an amorphous gravy train. In terms of like his parents not kicking him out such that he won't be homeless that's one thing.

If OP will be genuinely miserable as a lawyer then it's probably not worth pursuing even if a free JD will be a lot better off then whatever OP's current credentials are. But they should probably use a Summer to determine that. All we really know now is that OP seems to strongly dislike reading cases and other bullshit and is stressed about the possibility of not getting a job at the end of it... but are they in a better position to get meaningful employment with their Bachelor's Degree?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:37 pm

star fox wrote: If OP will be genuinely miserable as a lawyer then it's probably not worth pursuing even if a free JD will be a lot better off then whatever OP's current credentials are. But they should probably use a Summer to determine that. All we really know now is that OP seems to strongly dislike reading cases and other bullshit and is stressed about the possibility of not getting a job at the end of it... but are they in a better position to get meaningful employment with their Bachelor's Degree?
That is really good advice. I think the "drop out" reflex of TLS doesn't serve OP very well. It's no secret that 1L generally sucks. Just because OP vocalizes it doesn't mean that law is a bad fit for OP.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:46 pm

star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If the "no debt" is because of a full scholarship plus QoL stipend/work study, then dropping out won't necessarily (or 'magically') improve OP's life, it will actually challenge them to find an alternative in an immediate sense. If it's because his or her parents are paying for tuition and cost of living, then leaving law school could very well improve OP's stature in a material sense (whether they are just a generically unhappy person is another matter, but I don't think you can truly gather that from a few tls posts). You have to consider the underlying structure. OP can live with generous parental support and pursue other career opportunities at their leisure without the daily and existential drain that is attending a law school you loathe. With these life advantages, what makes one miserable is pursuing activities and an education one doesn't value.
I think you're making a false assumption that because the parents have the means to pay $210K or whatever (less whatever scholarship OP may have) that means they will allow OP to live in a perpetual state of "generous parental support." Like I guess it's possible, but I don't think it's uncommon for UMC families to behave in a way where they'll be generous with educational expenses but not just serve as an amorphous gravy train. In terms of like his parents not kicking him out such that he won't be homeless that's one thing.

If OP will be genuinely miserable as a lawyer then it's probably not worth pursuing even if a free JD will be a lot better off then whatever OP's current credentials are. But they should probably use a Summer to determine that. All we really know now is that OP seems to strongly dislike reading cases and other bullshit and is stressed about the possibility of not getting a job at the end of it... but are they in a better position to get meaningful employment with their Bachelor's Degree?
All fair points.

When push comes to shove, most wealthy families don't cope with professional disappointment with strict economic estrangement. But that's a personal call.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”