Helping family/friends with judgment collection & unauthorized "law practice" Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

New

Helping family/friends with judgment collection & unauthorized "law practice"

Post by 1991 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:24 am

Quick question from a law graduate waiting bar results:

If I am helping family member/family friend through some paperwork to get their court judgment (so helping with filing the papers to get a lien, etc. and not having anything to do with the legal claim which they already won), would that be considered unauthorized practice of law? I'm not giving them any advice but looking on the court website to help them with the filing because their English isn't so good.

How about writing a demand letter on their behalf? Being the bilingual person in the community I did this for neighbors often before law school, but now having had legal ethics screamed in my ears I just want to make sure it won't cause me too much trouble to help this person out.

EDIT: Would like to add - I guess a better question is whether judgment collection is practice of law.

swampman

Bronze

Re: Helping family/friends with judgment collection & unauthorized "law practice"

Post by swampman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:58 am

It sounds very much like you are asking for legal advice.

I know the clerk of court where I work will not assist people by explaining or helping them fill out forms for fear of being accused of providing legal advice.

kpr86

New

Re: Helping family/friends with judgment collection & unauthorized "law practice"

Post by kpr86 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:34 am

Grow a dick and just do it.

User has been warned not to be an asshole in the on-topics.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:55 pm

If you're asking, you know the answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”