Am I completely screwed? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Baltimore0924

New

Am I completely screwed?

Post by Baltimore0924 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:06 pm

So i just completed my first year of law school. Unfortunately I didn't do very well and landed in the bottom 3rd of my class. Didn't have the opportunity to do the write-on competition for law review or any of the journals and bidding during OCI will be a complete waste of my time considering that most firms only look for students with amazing grades and other honors. Not really interested in going into Big Law but am focused on working in regulatory compliance. The only thing going for me now is that I will graduate debt free as family is financing my degree and all expenses. I really want to be a lawyer and learn the law and separate myself from others in this abysmal job market. Should I just continue to stay, work hard and learn the law and go onto pass the bar?

Ron Howard

Bronze

Re: Am I completely screwed?

Post by Ron Howard » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Where do you go to law school?
Do you have work experience? If so, what is that experience?

Baltimore0924

New

Post by Baltimore0924 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Low T3 school. Was a paralegal for 2 1/2 years prior to starting law school at a big, medium, and small firm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:13 pm

The odds are very strongly against you in the traditional legal job market. If you've already got connections you can leverage for employment from your prior work, or through your family, then there's no reason not to stick it out if you're sure it's what you want. If you're looking to find a job from scratch with those credentials, the reality is going to be very grim, and dropping out to cut losses should be a real consideration.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:02 am

Agree with the above post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”