Is there a market for another law school strategy book? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawwnonymous

New

Is there a market for another law school strategy book?

Post by lawwnonymous » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:35 am

Have any of you thought about writing your own law school strategy/advice book? Do you think there is a market for another such book, how would you go about getting a publisher, is there precedent for TLS'ers doing this sort of thing, etc.

I am a rising 3L at a T20 school, ranked 5th in my class, law review, 1L externship on DC/9th/2nd Cir., 2L V10 summer associateship in DC/LA/NY, and have a district court clerkship lined up for after graduation in DDC/CDCA/NDCA/SDNY. I feel that I have a relatively unique perspective on law school, and have developed a system for doing well while not working all that hard.

Any advice or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Johann

Diamond

Re: Is there a market for another law school strategy book?

Post by Johann » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:40 am

write the book and publishers will come if its worth a shit

lawwnonymous

New

Post by lawwnonymous » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:45 am

Thats what I am thinking of doing as I mentor a rising 1L friend over the next year. I would start a blog first, but I don't think that I have the patience for marketing required to get a solid viewership.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:23 am

Why would anyone buy the book when there are already pretty solid guides on here from people that did better than you?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Consider self publishing & marketing your work on Amazon or other internet sites. Self promote through lectures at colleges & universities through career services. Write a brief "self review" of your work & experiences for newspapers.
A list of educational publishers can be easily acquired through internet research focused on Amazon as well as on Barnes & Noble.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:44 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Why would anyone buy the book when there are already pretty solid guides on here from people that did better than you?
I agree with this statement. That's not taking anything away from your accomplishments, but there are tons of guides on TLS already (and other websites) that are solid and created by people who did better.

I don't think there's a market for it especially considering your school rank (I'm assuming a non-T14), but I also think that you should try and do it if that's what you wanna do.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Any chance we get a preview of what you did that hasn't already been said?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:47 pm

There's always a market for a good book.
The way to do this is to write it and then take it to a professor, split profits with him/her to bring him on as a prestigious co-author.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Just write a TLS guide instead.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 pm

If your advice is good and you present it well, I'd recommend starting a blog or maybe some youtube videos or maybe write a TLS guide. I used to make youtube videos about law school-related topics, and got to nearly 150,000 views over the years. So there are certainly avenues for getting your advice out there without actually writing a book. Its good that you are willing to pass along your tips and insight. Whether writing a book is warranted, I really can't say. But there will always be a use for honest insight and advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”