Potentially Skipping Write On, Am I an Idiot? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
robertbooey

New

Potentially Skipping Write On, Am I an Idiot?

Post by robertbooey » Tue May 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Im finishing up 1L and seriously considering skipping write on.

I am fortunate in that I have an immediate family member who is the managing partner at a medium sized firm. I'll be working there this summer, and have been told I can join the firm after school/passing the bar and I fully intend to do so (security of working there was a major motivating factor for going to LS). I planned to start my summer position there the week after write on, but have been told I can start whenever I want.

So, my question is, should I skip write on? Is it a bad idea? I go to a 2nd tier school, I'm in the middle of my class, I tried on for moot. The benefits of doing it only seem to be a resume booster and a talking point for interviews, and neither seems to be pertinent.

Thanks for the advice

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Potentially Skipping Write On, Am I an Idiot?

Post by Danger Zone » Tue May 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Yes

robertbooey

New

Post by robertbooey » Tue May 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Yes
Yes I'm an idiot or yes I should skip?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm

robertbooey wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Yes
Yes I'm an idiot or yes I should skip?
Yes.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue May 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Correct

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm

I skipped, despite having a reasonably high probably of getting on (my school used a combination of both grades and write-on to determine most of the spots, while a few spots were selected based solely on write-on). Never regretted it once. Law review sounds like it sucks.

That being said, I think you should generally have at least a few things on your resume that make you stand out and show that you were involved in more than class during law school. For many people, law review is one of the best ways to do both of those things.

At the same time, if your long-term plan really is to go to the medium sized firm and ride that out for at least the next 8-10 years, I wouldn't stress law school accolades too much.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Top school? Would be fine without. T2 like you, prob should unless LR isn't relv to end career goals.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 20, 2015 7:50 pm

If you go to a Tier 2, you need Law Review + all the other bells and whistles. I think your best situation would be to transfer, then do the write on at a t-14 school. 2nd best situation, transfer to t14, don't do write on. If you can't transfer to t14, then do the write on.

Shmuffalo_

New

Post by Shmuffalo_ » Fri May 22, 2015 1:14 am

robertbooey wrote:Im finishing up 1L and seriously considering skipping write on.

I am fortunate in that I have an immediate family member who is the managing partner at a medium sized firm. I'll be working there this summer, and have been told I can join the firm after school/passing the bar and I fully intend to do so (security of working there was a major motivating factor for going to LS). I planned to start my summer position there the week after write on, but have been told I can start whenever I want.

So, my question is, should I skip write on? Is it a bad idea? I go to a 2nd tier school, I'm in the middle of my class, I tried on for moot. The benefits of doing it only seem to be a resume booster and a talking point for interviews, and neither seems to be pertinent.

Thanks for the advice
Uh... You have a guarenteed job. I didn't get an offer until 3L fall semester. Once I got the offer, I stopped studying, and went to my favorite bar/restaurant.

If you have guaranteed employment (hopefully lucrative) in your 1L year, don't worry too much about over-achieving.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:35 am

Shmuffalo_ wrote:
robertbooey wrote:Im finishing up 1L and seriously considering skipping write on.

Thanks for the advice
Uh... You have a guarenteed job. I didn't get an offer until 3L fall semester. Once I got the offer, I stopped studying, and went to my favorite bar/restaurant.

If you have guaranteed employment (hopefully lucrative) in your 1L year, don't worry too much about over-achieving.
If it is a crappy job, I still wouldn't settle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”