Moving On to The Next Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ReasonableReliance

New

Moving On to The Next

Post by ReasonableReliance » Thu May 07, 2015 10:04 am

--
Last edited by ReasonableReliance on Mon May 11, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

instride91

Bronze

Re: Moving On to The Next

Post by instride91 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:22 am

Also a 1L here. Same situation too - did extremely well last semester, felt awful about my first final.

Honestly, you just have to suck it up. Put it out of your mind and focus on Am Jur-ing that next final. Also, for what it's worth, you really never know how you did on a final. I thought I did terribly in civ pro last semester and it ended up being one of my highest grades. I've also noticed that when I think an exam was difficult, most people tend to think it was easy. Not sure why that is, but it goes to show you that you really never know.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu May 07, 2015 10:55 am

I'd normally suggest drinking, but it seems like you have more finals to go so you may not agree with that advice. Anyway, just start studying, eventually having to focus on the other material will put the other exam out of your mind. take a practice exam for your next subject so you can obsess over the things you miss on that.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:19 am

instride91 wrote:Also a 1L here. Same situation too - did extremely well last semester, felt awful about my first final.

Honestly, you just have to suck it up. Put it out of your mind and focus on Am Jur-ing that next final. Also, for what it's worth, you really never know how you did on a final. I thought I did terribly in civ pro last semester and it ended up being one of my highest grades. I've also noticed that when I think an exam was difficult, most people tend to think it was easy. Not sure why that is, but it goes to show you that you really never know.
Same here. In the fall, those finals I've come out shaking my head, I was the highest grade in the class. So you really never know. In a way, be happy YOU thought it was hard. If you put a ton of work in, if you thought it was hard, others did too. When they are not shooting for As, "easy" might mean they just knew a good portion of stuff. Its natural to focus on the negatives when you want an A so badly.

ReasonableReliance

New

Post by ReasonableReliance » Thu May 07, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks all. Just brutal re-hashing every possible issue, every question, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu May 07, 2015 2:29 pm

The answer is easy. You'll be feeling even worse if you have a crappy performance on your subsequent exams. So your real motivation should be achieving that "well, I did my best. Time to dick around for a month" feeling. You'll still probably obsess over this one exam that gave you problems, but it's better to obsess over only one exam.

That is, just move on before you make things worse.

chargers

New

Post by chargers » Thu May 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Just a 1L so I don't have a ton of experience, but I found it funny last semester how the people who I know studied a lot and knew their stuff (and eventually ended up doing the best) always thought the exams were way tougher than others.

That's probably because other people who aren't as worried what they get are just happy if they know a good bit of it, whereas someone who has studied a lot gets frustrated if they are unsure of anything. Also, the questions are meant to be tough and unclear. So if you think it's hard it probably just means you actually spotted all the tough stuff the professor wanted you to.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like other have said, nothing you can do at this point but move on and make sure you're prepared for the next exam anyways.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Thu May 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Stop worrying about it. You can't change anything so thinking about it won't help. Also I reckon you probably felt similarly last semester, rehashing answers and such, and you did very well, so don't sweat it.

ReasonableReliance

New

Post by ReasonableReliance » Thu May 07, 2015 5:56 pm

--
Last edited by ReasonableReliance on Mon May 11, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Obviously you just have to let go and move on, but even if you end up not doing as well as you'd have liked, there's a solid chance it won't actually hurt you. I also attend a T2 and did very well first semester 1L, but did worse GPA-wise second semester. However, my class rank still rose due to other people doing better/worse than they did the semester before.

So, you really can't know if this hurt you or not, law school isn't about how well you do, its about how well you do compared to everyone else.

cyrilfiggis

New

Post by cyrilfiggis » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Use it as motivation to not feel this way after the next exam

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Thu May 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Some advice for the future - sell back your book or put it somewhere you can't easily access it immediately after the final. That way you physically can't go back through it to see what you missed. I've had the same problem and that sometimes helps.

gonefishing

New

Post by gonefishing » Fri May 08, 2015 11:33 am

My approach would be to start studying for the next exam as intensely as possible, even if it is only for a few hours before you get too tired to make studying effective. Don't just read though your outline--prepare and work through flashcards, write-out answers for essay questions from old exams while timing yourself, etc. If you really immerse yourself in the subject matter of your next exam, your mind is more likely to shift its focus. When I was in law school, I found that doing this helped me move on from completed exams more than resting, exercising, reading, or watching television.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”