Dog + big law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Linen Walnut

New

Dog + big law

Post by Linen Walnut » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Can people who work in big law weigh in? I will be the only one taking care of the dog. I will live ten minutes from the office.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: Dog + big law

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Terrible for you and the dog, and bordering on dog abuse.* Even on a good day, you are gone for probably 9 hours. On a bad day? 18-20 hours isn't uncommon. I just got done with a 36 hour day. You'd at a minimum have to get a noon time dog walker and then an evening one.

Get a cat.

*And im not the sort of person to claim animal abuse. They are animals, I even think hitting them is fine. But leaving them home all day and night is abusive.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Not in biglaw, but get a second dog if you do this.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Get a cat.
Word - If you're alone, don't get a dog. If you've got a SO who can help and has a better schedule (i.e. NOT a lawyer) - consider it. Everyone I know practicing and not living with a SO has cats or nothing.

Dogs need to go to the bathroom - 10 hours away is the absolute limit, and that's pretty bad. Ideally no more than 8 hours, which is impossible in pretty much every practice area. Or hire a dog-walker, but why would you get a dog just to hire someone else to spend time with it?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:10 pm

k5220 wrote:Not in biglaw, but get a second dog if you do this.
Just get 12 dogs. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:29 am

Will your dog be stuck inside all day or do you have a yard or something?

Can you afford a regular dog walker?

Linen Walnut

New

Post by Linen Walnut » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:29 am

hiima3L wrote:Will your dog be stuck inside all day or do you have a yard or something?

Would do a mix of daycare, dog walker, or coming home for lunch.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 am

Linen Walnut wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Will your dog be stuck inside all day or do you have a yard or something?

Just don't do it man. Dogs need interaction and companionship; they're not independent creatures. Getting a dog just to make it sit alone in an apartment all day is pretty much the equivalent of sending your dog to prison. No joke. For the dog's sake, don't do it.

If you need some sort of companionship, a cat is the way to go.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 am

MarkfromWI wrote:
Linen Walnut wrote:

Just don't do it man. Dogs need interaction and companionship; they're not independent creatures. Getting a dog just to make it sit alone in an apartment all day is pretty much the equivalent of sending your dog to prison. No joke. For the dog's sake, don't do it.

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Coming from a house with two Gov't attorneys (one currently and one about to be after graduation and the bar), so our schedules are not as crazy as our friends in BigLaw, a cat is the credited response. Plus there's the added bonus of a 4am wakeup when the cat decides to use your head as its pillow.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:44 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
Linen Walnut wrote:

Eh, it depends entirely on the dog. I have one who doesn't care about sitting around all day. I'll come home and he'll sit there in his bed staring at me.

But TCR is to get 2 dogs.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah, cat is the way to go. My fiancee and I both work long hours and we got a cat and are in love with him. We're both dog people, too, but it's too hard/expensive to take care of a dog when you're in the office ~12 hours/day.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:55 pm

This is why you shouldn't get a dog:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=244529

Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be able to go home during lunch, or that you'll know in advance which days you are going to get slammed with work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 pm

The only person I know who has a dog in big law (and is the sole caretaker) takes the dog to "doggie-daycare" every single day. Costs about $1000 a month, and I think the person is completely out of their mind. Seems to work though.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 pm

That's insane. I would make friends with some neighbors that have kids, offer to pay the kids a small sum per day to take the dog out when they get home from school or as needed when I texted them/their parents.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:18 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:That's insane. I would make friends with some neighbors that have kids, offer to pay the kids a small sum per day to take the dog out when they get home from school or as needed when I texted them/their parents.
Yea. I don't see any way that this could go wrong...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:23 pm

chimp wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:That's insane. I would make friends with some neighbors that have kids, offer to pay the kids a small sum per day to take the dog out when they get home from school or as needed when I texted them/their parents.
Which part are you thinking would make it fail?

Obvs you have to find trustworthy people, but if I were a parent I would love it if someone gave my kid an opportunity like that. Lets them earn a little spending $$ and have some responsibilities. Growing up I got $5/day for feeding my neighbors animals every time they went on vacay.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
chimp wrote:
Which part are you thinking would make it fail?

Obvs you have to find trustworthy people, but if I were a parent I would love it if someone gave my kid an opportunity like that. Lets them earn a little spending $$ and have some responsibilities. Growing up I got $5/day for feeding my neighbors animals every time they went on vacay.
befriending kids is rapey, the dog could bite the kid, the kid could lose the dog or injure it, child labor, the kid's parents might be shitheads, you'd have to worry about texting the parents/kid all the time, what if they don't respond or can't do it?, the kid might leave the door unlocked, the kid might set you up for a home invasion, what would the kid do with your keys?, the list goes on and on

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:27 pm

chimp wrote: befriending kids is rapey, the dog could bite the kid, the kid could lose the dog or injure it, child labor, the kid's parents might be shitheads, you'd have to worry about texting the parents/kid all the time, what if they don't respond or can't do it?, the kid might leave the door unlocked, the kid might set you up for a home invasion, what would the kid do with your keys?, the list goes on and on
None of this is a problem if you get to know people first. I also think you are underestimating a 12 yr olds ability to be a decent human.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:35 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
chimp wrote: befriending kids is rapey, the dog could bite the kid, the kid could lose the dog or injure it, child labor, the kid's parents might be shitheads, you'd have to worry about texting the parents/kid all the time, what if they don't respond or can't do it?, the kid might leave the door unlocked, the kid might set you up for a home invasion, what would the kid do with your keys?, the list goes on and on
None of this is a problem if you get to know people first. I also think you are underestimating a 12 yr olds ability to be a decent human.
I'm afraid that life has some unpleasant surprises in store for you.

I will say, though, that chimp's "befriending kids is rapey" remark was over the line.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:39 am

This doesn't really sound like a NYC (or even most other major metros) option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:09 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
I think you're overestimating their ability to be a decent human.
rpupkin wrote:I'm afraid that life has some unpleasant surprises in store for you.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:07 am

^ Bottom line: do not take on a pet that you cannot be 100% responsible for in case all of your "back up" options fail at a particular point. For most lawyers, this means no dogs unless you have an SO / family member / roommate who can reliably take care of the pet for you.

Again, this is why a cat is often TCR. Dogs require a lot more attention and focus than cats do.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:11 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
12 year olds are scum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”