How long after argument does it take SCOTUS... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
3|ink

Platinum

How long after argument does it take SCOTUS...

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:30 am

...to issue a decision?

Here's my situation. I want to write a paper for a class about a case that was argued before SCOTUS in November. Basically, the paper will be about how the court should rule. But if the court hands down its decision during the semester, my topic will be moot.

So how long after an argument in November 2014 should I expect the court to make its decision?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: How long after argument does it take SCOTUS...

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 am

3|ink wrote:...to issue a decision?

Here's my situation. I want to write a paper for a class about a case that was argued before SCOTUS in November. Basically, the paper will be about how the court should rule. But if the court hands down its decision during the semester, my topic will be moot.

So how long after an argument in November 2014 should I expect the court to make its decision?
No real way to tell. It could take until June or it might come out tomorrow.

For example, here's a stat page for last term showing some examples. Some opinions took a month, some took five. But if you look at the measurements at the bottom, prospects don't look good for the semester end beating the issuance. http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-conten ... n_OT13.pdf

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
3|ink wrote:...to issue a decision?

No real way to tell. It could take until June or it might come out tomorrow.

For example, here's a stat page for last term showing some examples. Some opinions took a month, some took five. But if you look at the measurements at the bottom, prospects don't look good for the semester end beating the issuance. http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-conten ... n_OT13.pdf
Thanks

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 pm

If this is for a writing credit or something, I'd generally advise against it. Forget about your paper being moot if the decision comes out before you're done. The decision will be moot regardless by June. Legal scholarship is supposed to add something to the field and address uncertain issues. At best your paper will be considered meaningless and irrelevant in a short few months. No ones going to give you points for your reasoning being the same as SCOTUS because you "predicted it."

For journals and writing classes at my school they give a list of things that are a bad idea to write about. Two of the ideas on there are how the Supreme Court should decide a case, and how the Supreme Court should have decided a case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”