GPA needed for government honors programs? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
linkx13

Bronze

GPA needed for government honors programs?

Post by linkx13 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Just trying to set a "safe zone" goal for myself to stay competitive

DISCLAIMER: I do realize they care about a lot more than grades. I'm just trying to create a set GPA goal.

FSK

Platinum

Re: GPA needed for government honors programs?

Post by FSK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm

As high as you can. How the hell do you set a goal even?
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: GPA needed for government honors programs?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

I've seen references ranging from top-third to top-quarter. (Occasionally you see actual GPAs given, but I don't think that's very helpful. Like, I think I've seen one agency want a 3.0, which equals a horrible class rank at grade inflaters like NU and a really high rank at TTTs with C medians. The TTT person may need to have that high a ranking, but I don't think below median at a T14 is really the right cutoff either.)

But it will vary by agency/component. Some agencies are less likely to care if you have excellent pertinent experience and people in the agency willing to vouch for you. Others (cough*DOJcivilrights*cough) will only take the very top of the class people (I LinkedIn stalked a civil rights honors attorney with Harvard/Yale BA/JD who clerked for SDNY and the 9th Circuit first).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”