C+ in Tax...want to be a Tax lawyer/LLM question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whathaveidone

New

C+ in Tax...want to be a Tax lawyer/LLM question

Post by whathaveidone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:09 am

I guess the subject is self-explanatory. I'm not sure what I can do at this point. I feel like dropping out now, but it's pretty late in the game. Does that C+ stain any chance I have at breaking into the tax law field? It's the first C I've ever received. MC exam. I'm pretty bad at MC exams. Didn't have very much time to study. Was working 25+ hours with a full time work load. I know that's not an excuse, but it's the explanation I have to use.

I am in another tax class right now. And even before this, I was planning on getting my LLM in Tax. Does this ruin chances to get into NYU/Gtown for tax too? God, I'm fucked.

banjo

Silver

Re: C+ in Tax...want to be a Tax lawyer/LLM question

Post by banjo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 am

Don't drop out because of one bad elective grade. What are your school and grades? Do you have an SA lined up? Are you dead-set on tax?

whathaveidone

New

Post by whathaveidone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 am

T20, grades are mediocre. Right around median, slightly above a 3.0 at this point. No SA. No legal employment for the summer. Previous work at the IRS though.

I'm pretty dead-set on tax...or I was. Not sure what my options are at this point.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:55 am

Take a lot more tax courses and do well. LLM programs are pretty fickle. If you do well enough, I think NYU may still be within reach, but you need some good tax grades. Georgetown should be in play still.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 am

whathaveidone wrote:T20, grades are mediocre. Right around median, slightly above a 3.0 at this point. No SA. No legal employment for the summer. Previous work at the IRS though.

I'm pretty dead-set on tax...or I was. Not sure what my options are at this point.
If you're interested in tax work without the LLM, you can apply to some accounting firms. I'd take a look at this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=206207.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whathaveidone

New

Post by whathaveidone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 am

Unfortunately I have no business/finance background or else I would apply to accounting firms. Do you think it's still possible with a liberal arts background?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 am

Uphill battle with liberal arts and without Llm but they do hire.

whathaveidone

New

Post by whathaveidone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:31 am

Thanks! Do you have any tips far as employment prospects without the LLM?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 am

Sorry but not really. Network and reach out to people - ask them how they got where they are and what they do on a day to day basis. Let them know you are interested in tax. Big 4 are very skeptical of hiring people they think want to be lawyers for fear the people will bail after a year or two to a law firm. So you have to sell them hard that this is what you want and not a law firm. Keep studying and working hard in your tax classes to set yourself up for an Llm program, need be.

If you're struggling with any tax concepts in particular, pm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tomasz

New

Post by Tomasz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:37 pm

whathaveidone wrote:I guess the subject is self-explanatory. I'm not sure what I can do at this point. I feel like dropping out now, but it's pretty late in the game. Does that C+ stain any chance I have at breaking into the tax law field? It's the first C I've ever received. MC exam. I'm pretty bad at MC exams. Didn't have very much time to study. Was working 25+ hours with a full time work load. I know that's not an excuse, but it's the explanation I have to use.

I am in another tax class right now. And even before this, I was planning on getting my LLM in Tax. Does this ruin chances to get into NYU/Gtown for tax too? God, I'm fucked.
why were you working 25+ hours ? Part time? Seems like you should pick a career. Law or whatever else you're doing. Both is bad.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 am

C+ probs means irs honors is out

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”