Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CallMeGunz

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by CallMeGunz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm

For the 2L's that get PROREC'ed do you guys have any military commitments before graduation? For instance is it the same as for ROTC students where they have to take certain courses for the military and do certain activities during the summer up until graduation and commissioning? Or do yo simply focus on school and then pick back up with your recruiter/program manager after graduation and taking the bar? Just looking for some clarification

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:00 pm

CallMeGunz wrote:For the 2L's that get PROREC'ed do you guys have any military commitments before graduation? For instance is it the same as for ROTC students where they have to take certain courses for the military and do certain activities during the summer up until graduation and commissioning? Or do yo simply focus on school and then pick back up with your recruiter/program manager after graduation and taking the bar? Just looking for some clarification

You just go into Inactive Ready Reserve so you have some limited contact with you recruiter, you get a reserve ID card but that’s about it as far I know. But don’t talk to me about the Bar. I’m currently half way through taking it..... kill me

JAGbound

New

Post by JAGbound » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 pm

I was curious if anyone was aware of what happens following the submission of a commissioning packet? I have recently completed all the requirements through my recruiter but have not signed my commissioning papers or had a swearing in ceremony. Will the JAG office reach out next?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:39 pm

JAGbound wrote:I was curious if anyone was aware of what happens following the submission of a commissioning packet? I have recently completed all the requirements through my recruiter but have not signed my commissioning papers or had a swearing in ceremony. Will the JAG office reach out next?
"hurry up and wait"--the unofficial motto of the military.

Assuming everything is turned in by your recruiter, and you were properly scrolled ahead of time, you should be able to commission within a month or so. Once everything is approved by the recruiting command for your commissioning, you should be notified by EITHER your recruiter or the JAGC accessions office.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
JAGbound wrote:I was curious if anyone was aware of what happens following the submission of a commissioning packet? I have recently completed all the requirements through my recruiter but have not signed my commissioning papers or had a swearing in ceremony. Will the JAG office reach out next?
"hurry up and wait"--the unofficial motto of the military.

Assuming everything is turned in by your recruiter, and you were properly scrolled ahead of time, you should be able to commission within a month or so. Once everything is approved by the recruiting command for your commissioning, you should be notified by EITHER your recruiter or the JAGC accessions office.
Hi Elle! Any word from your N61 contact on whether they actually had the board at the end of July for Navy Reserve JAG Direct Commissions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 pm

tigger02 wrote:Hi Elle! Any word from your N61 contact on whether they actually had the board at the end of July for Navy Reserve JAG Direct Commissions?
I heard they were prepping for it, but I have no more details. I'm not sure exactly when the board met--just "end of July."

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
tigger02 wrote:Hi Elle! Any word from your N61 contact on whether they actually had the board at the end of July for Navy Reserve JAG Direct Commissions?
I heard they were prepping for it, but I have no more details. I'm not sure exactly when the board met--just "end of July."
Thank you for the response

CallMeGunz

New

Post by CallMeGunz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
CallMeGunz wrote:For the 2L's that get PROREC'ed do you guys have any military commitments before graduation? For instance is it the same as for ROTC students where they have to take certain courses for the military and do certain activities during the summer up until graduation and commissioning? Or do yo simply focus on school and then pick back up with your recruiter/program manager after graduation and taking the bar? Just looking for some clarification

You just go into Inactive Ready Reserve so you have some limited contact with you recruiter, you get a reserve ID card but that’s about it as far I know. But don’t talk to me about the Bar. I’m currently half way through taking it..... kill me
Thanks, Im currently Active Duty enlisted and getting out. I did a trial run and ended up getting accepted to all my dream schools so next year I'll reapply and start my 1L year. I'm hoping I get back in to Georgetown, if not my fall back is UT Austin. Im just getting all my ducks in a row and have been following this forum for a year or so now. Navy Jag is the goal and I;'m doing all I can to prep for that now.

CallMeGunz

New

Post by CallMeGunz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:19 pm

One more question for anyone that has the answer. Does the SP provide any kind of help paying for the remainder of your schooling like any other Navy program or is it simply one of those "hey you have a job waiting when you graduate"? I've checked the website and FAQ but I'm only seeing that are IRR so I am still just getting all the facts to make a educated decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

CallMeGunz wrote:One more question for anyone that has the answer. Does the SP provide any kind of help paying for the remainder of your schooling like any other Navy program or is it simply one of those "hey you have a job waiting when you graduate"? I've checked the website and FAQ but I'm only seeing that are IRR so I am still just getting all the facts to make a educated decision.
No help to pay off remainder of law school while you are in IRR. We have the Judge Advocate Continuation Pay (see here for details: http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/pdf/OPNAVINST-7220-10.pdf) and PSLF to help with loans.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 am

Just found out yesterday that I was selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Accessions Program! :D

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:01 pm

tigger02 wrote:Just found out yesterday that I was selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Accessions Program! :D
Congrats future Ensign! I look forward to crossing paths with you in the future. That is, if I ever get a spot into training, this delay (and potentially getting delayed into middle of next year) is seriously stressful with trying to find gap work to keep those bills paid.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
tigger02 wrote:Just found out yesterday that I was selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Accessions Program! :D
Congrats future Ensign! I look forward to crossing paths with you in the future. That is, if I ever get a spot into training, this delay (and potentially getting delayed into middle of next year) is seriously stressful with trying to find gap work to keep those bills paid.
Thank you sir! I’m super excited. It’s kinda been a dream of mine for a really long time. I’m prior Navy enlisted. Left the Navy a long time ago after five years of active duty and then went to college (thank you Navy college Fund) and law school. Which also means I think I come in as a LTJG or a LT (I was told there is a separate board that makes the decision as to which and I would find out in a month or so).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 pm

tigger02 wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
Thank you sir! I’m super excited. It’s kinda been a dream of mine for a really long time. I’m prior Navy enlisted. Left the Navy a long time ago after five years of active duty and then went to college (thank you Navy college Fund) and law school. Which also means I think I come in as a LTJG or a LT (I was told there is a separate board that makes the decision as to which and I would find out in a month or so).
That’s awesome! My road to getting ProRec’d was a few years long and a roller coaster. I can only imagine how you feel! I know pretty much all DA selectees (even non-prior service) start as LTJG instead of Ensign. You may be religionless for an even more advanced starting rank. Good luck in that process!

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm also prior service and am looking at this as an option. Would you mind explaining the process you went through to apply and how if it was any different from the active application?

JAGbound

New

Post by JAGbound » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
What's the hold up? I won't be attending training until after the bar exam next July, but I'm curious if I should plan on being in limbo for awhile. Is there a backlog?

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:35 pm

JAGbound wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
What's the hold up? I won't be attending training until after the bar exam next July, but I'm curious if I should plan on being in limbo for awhile. Is there a backlog?
I won’t get into details because I don’t work for Accessions. But there are just some delays this year essentially due to the fact that they had more acceptances of offers than expected. I think given how much of a pain this is they will likely have it worked out by then. But there’s a chance I’ll be at training with you, lol. I’ll find out within the next month or so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:05 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
I'm also prior service and am looking at this as an option. Would you mind explaining the process you went through to apply and how if it was any different from the active application?
It was a looong process. I first reached out to an officer recruiter in March of last year, to give you an idea of how long it took. A lot of it was due to the fact that there simply aren’t that many applicants for that program, and recruiters have to learn the process as they go. I was the first ever JAG applicant for my recruiter. I think the main difference from the active program is there isn’t a two-step approval process with the Reserve Program. You get your package put together with the help of your recruiter, they submit it, a board is convened, and then you’re either selected or not. At least, that’s my understanding. If you have any specific questions, I will try and answer them.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 pm

So when my recruiter called me and told me I had been selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Appointment Program, she told me that the next step was to wait for the "scroll" to come back, and then I could be commissioned. Anyone know what that means or how long it takes?

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:58 pm

tigger02 wrote:So when my recruiter called me and told me I had been selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Appointment Program, she told me that the next step was to wait for the "scroll" to come back, and then I could be commissioned. Anyone know what that means or how long it takes?
It’s the process of having your documentation sent off to the SecDef’s office. It has to be reviewed and signed along with every other recommendation for any DoD Officers commission. They are typically approved and signed in batches. So depending on when the last batch was completed it could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for your particular scroll (along with a group of others) to be returned. At which point your commissioning documents are prepared for signing after you have sworn your oath.

So congrats! You are either a few days or a month away from commissioning as a Naval Officer!

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
tigger02 wrote:So when my recruiter called me and told me I had been selected for the Navy Reserve JAG Direct Appointment Program, she told me that the next step was to wait for the "scroll" to come back, and then I could be commissioned. Anyone know what that means or how long it takes?
It’s the process of having your documentation sent off to the SecDef’s office. It has to be reviewed and signed along with every other recommendation for any DoD Officers commission. They are typically approved and signed in batches. So depending on when the last batch was completed it could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for your particular scroll (along with a group of others) to be returned. At which point your commissioning documents are prepared for signing after you have sworn your oath.

So congrats! You are either a few days or a month away from commissioning as a Naval Officer!
Thank you. I am patiently waiting, but I cannot wait!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Got the call today from my recruiter that the “scroll” came back and I’m going in as an O-2, and that now I just have to wait for my commissioning paperwork to be prepared at NRD headquarters in Millington, TN. Was great news on a Friday.

TortsIllustratedd

New

Post by TortsIllustratedd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Does anyone happen to know where we stay for NJS? I feel like I had heard (or read) that we stay on base in a hotel. Is that cost paid for by the Navy or if not are we free to look for cheaper alternatives off base? Thanks so much!

hkhmc36

New

Post by hkhmc36 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Has anyone here applying for the SP fall board have an issue logging into the online application portal? It keeps coming up as error the last few days.

UMNLawBee

New

Post by UMNLawBee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:16 pm

My peers and I are encountering the same issue. I sent an email to Code 61 on Sunday, but haven't heard anything back. Anyone else out there have more information?

hkhmc36 wrote:Has anyone here applying for the SP fall board have an issue logging into the online application portal? It keeps coming up as error the last few days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”