Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mike1117

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by mike1117 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:34 am

Just got a call, I've been selected as an "alternate"--didn't even know that was a possibility haha. Recruiter will be reaching out for medical. Lt. Cmdr. said this was the most competitive board in 10 years and recommended re-applying to the next board to try to get in outright, even with an identical application. She did say that sometimes they take all the alternates and sometimes they don't, so we'll see

dg567

New

Post by dg567 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Alternate for the 2L board? Didn't know that was a possibility.

MilLawz

New

Post by MilLawz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:34 pm

UMNLawBee wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:38 pm
Anyone hear of any PR calls going out yet?
Got mine! Took me by surprise, but very relieved and grateful. Here's hoping all goes smoothly with the rest of the process. My portal still hasn't updated for whatever reason, but I'm expecting a follow-up email sometime tomorrow or next week.

UMNLawBee

New

Post by UMNLawBee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am

Congratulations @MilLawz! Good luck moving forward through the process. Would you mind sharing when you got your call or any other information about your app/acceptance?

MilLawz

New

Post by MilLawz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:26 am

UMNLawBee wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am
Congratulations @MilLawz! Good luck moving forward through the process. Would you mind sharing when you got your call or any other information about your app/acceptance?
Thank you! And I'd be more than happy to. Just shoot me a private message and we can chat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UMNLawBee

New

Post by UMNLawBee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

MilLawz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:26 am
UMNLawBee wrote:
Thank you! And I'd be more than happy to. Just shoot me a private message and we can chat.
Unfortunately, it appears as though I’m too “new” of a user to send messages, even though I’ve been on here for almost 2 years! Are you able to PM me to get it started? If not, my email, numbers spelled out to avoid data/bot mining, is roge(zero four three four)@umn.edu. Would really appreciate connecting!

dg567

New

Post by dg567 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:37 pm

MilLawz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:26 am
UMNLawBee wrote:
I also tried to PM you but looks like we can't! Interested to hear about your acceptance/app!

MilLawz

New

Post by MilLawz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:58 pm

Just messaged you both!

dg567

New

Post by dg567 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am

MilLawz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:58 pm
Just messaged you both!
It wouldn't let me reply to the dm, but thanks for being willing to do it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MilLawz

New

Post by MilLawz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 pm

dg567 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am
MilLawz wrote:
Just messaged you both!
Sorry, this website is absurd. I'd be happy to answer whatever anyone would be interested to know!

dg567

New

Post by dg567 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 pm

MilLawz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 pm
dg567 wrote:
MilLawz wrote:
Just messaged you both!
Sorry, this website is absurd. I'd be happy to answer whatever anyone would be interested to know!
Thank you so much! I'm interested in what parts of your application do you think stood out? Anything you think helped you get PR'd? Also, any tips you have for someone looking to reapply this coming fall?

MilLawz

New

Post by MilLawz » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:52 pm

dg567 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 pm
MilLawz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 pm
dg567 wrote:
MilLawz wrote:
Just messaged you both!
Thank you so much! I'm interested in what parts of your application do you think stood out? Anything you think helped you get PR'd? Also, any tips you have for someone looking to reapply this coming fall?
Of course! Far be it from me to divine the workings of the board; my advice is given with the caveat that I have a data set of one.

I think a big part of it was numbers and school ranking. I'll keep myself somewhat anonymous, but HYS and 99th percentile LSAT. That being said, I don't think that alone would get someone selected, based on my understanding of the holistic admissions criteria. They want people with credentials, but not to the exclusion or in the absence of real character. And, of course, the vast majority of applicants that get selected do not need to have a high-ranked school or great LSAT score to do so. In other words, I think I probably came close to maxing out the score on academics, but my other factors probably weren't as strong.

Not many significant extra curriculars in law school, but significant leadership experience in college. Very personal recommendation letters did a lot, I think. To the extent that you can highlight a history of service or a desire to serve in your motivational statement, letters of rec, or other past activities and other documents I think that can help round out your application. That was probably where I was weak, so in general I would try to round yourself out as much as possible. Bad LSAT score/grades/school -> get someone who can say you're capable/motivated, etc. and who can speak directly to your ability to work in the legal field.

Knowing that my application would be a little "pointy," I did my best to bring my A-game to the interview. I was lucky that someone clued me in beforehand that the interview is one of the biggest things they consider. Basic things go a long way: dress professionally, be on-time if not slightly early, be courteous, and remember that you're being evaluated the whole time, not just during the "interview" itself. I was a little thrown by the interview just because I had never been to a "structured interview." Definitely look that up beforehand and familiarize yourself with the structure.

For the motivational statement, just try to steer clear of cliches and write something that's actually true personally. And of course get someone else (multiple people if possible) to review your statement for substance and typos. This goes for the whole application, but small errors can be dispositive of applications. That applies to the formatting and instructions re. the photograph as well. The instructions aren't all on the application (some are on separate Navy websites), so be sure to find them and abide by them.

That's all that comes to mind for me right now. Let me know if you have any more specific questions!

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Seems like this thread has pretty much died since the cancelled board of fall 19. Anyone out there submitting the 3L application for 2 October? I just got mine in today. I've been applying to a lot of these boards, but no luck so far. I still think Navy is probably my best shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hkhmc36

New

Post by hkhmc36 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:59 pm
Seems like this thread has pretty much died since the cancelled board of fall 19. Anyone out there submitting the 3L application for 2 October? I just got mine in today. I've been applying to a lot of these boards, but no luck so far. I still think Navy is probably my best shot.
I am submitting my third application to the Navy JAG today. I am a 3L, did a Navy JAG internship. Really hoping I get in this time because this is the only legal career I have ever wanted. I am really worried COVID has caused a flooding of applications which will decrease the acceptance rate (like in '08) and make it even more competitive. Wishing you the best of luck. Here's hoping we get it! And if not, hope the Spring 3L application is not canceled.

UMNLawBee

New

Post by UMNLawBee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:40 am

hkhmc36 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 pm
thriller1122 wrote:
I am submitting my third application to the Navy JAG today. I am a 3L, did a Navy JAG internship. Really hoping I get in this time because this is the only legal career I have ever wanted. I am really worried COVID has caused a flooding of applications which will decrease the acceptance rate (like in '08) and make it even more competitive. Wishing you the best of luck. Here's hoping we get it! And if not, hope the Spring 3L application is not canceled.
Exact. Same. Boat. You're not alone.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 am

hkhmc36 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 pm
thriller1122 wrote:
This is my second. I've read/heard that the last board was unreasonably competitive. Hopefully they take a few more people this time around. Historically, less people apply in the fall, but as you suggest it is uncertain times. I hope at most this just levels out the numbers and we have a fair chance. I just graduated, take the bar next week, and did an internship. I feel good about my qualifications, so its just time to wait at this point. Bar results come out roughly around the time the fall board has historically released selections. It could either be a great week for me or the worst week of my life, lol. Nothing I can do now.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am

thriller1122 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 am
This is my second. I've read/heard that the last board was unreasonably competitive. Hopefully they take a few more people this time around. Historically, less people apply in the fall, but as you suggest it is uncertain times. I hope at most this just levels out the numbers and we have a fair chance. I just graduated, take the bar next week, and did an internship. I feel good about my qualifications, so its just time to wait at this point. Bar results come out roughly around the time the fall board has historically released selections. It could either be a great week for me or the worst week of my life, lol. Nothing I can do now.
Where are you finding the info that less people apply to the Student Program in the fall? (I'm legitimately curious so as to correct this statement). As far as I'm aware, fall boards typically have more Student Program applications than the spring boards.

Also, if you have already graduated law school, I don't believe you are eligible to apply to the Fall Student Program board. You should reach out to the recruiting & accessions office to verify your eligibility. Eligibility for recent grads is discussed on the FAQ page of the Career website here: https://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/caree ... t.html#lq1. Additionally, the Student Program website itself states that the upcoming Student Program fall board is only open for those graduating between Dec 2020-May 2022.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 am
thriller1122 wrote:
Where are you finding the info that less people apply to the Student Program in the fall? (I'm legitimately curious so as to correct this statement). As far as I'm aware, fall boards typically have more Student Program applications than the spring boards.

Also, if you have already graduated law school, I don't believe you are eligible to apply to the Fall Student Program board. You should reach out to the recruiting & accessions office to verify your eligibility. Eligibility for recent grads is discussed on the FAQ page of the Career website here: https://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/caree ... t.html#lq1. Additionally, the Student Program website itself states that the upcoming Student Program fall board is only open for those graduating between Dec 2020-May 2022.
I'll look for the numbers on the boards. I dont remember exactly where I saw the stats, and now that you mention it I think it was actually military-wide, not just the Navy student program. I'll look for it and get back to you.

As far as the SP, the website states "be a law student with at least one year of school completed, attending an American Bar Association (ABA)-accredited school, or a graduate of an ABA-accredited law school who has not yet had the opportunity to take the first available bar exam following graduation. Students who attend law school part time or intend to matriculate in a dual degree program must be within two years of completing all remaining degree requirements"

I talked with the head of recruiting and they said I was eligible to apply to this board because of the delay to the bar (I haven't had an opportunity to take it yet). Generally I wouldn't be eligible, but they said they're making an exception for this board due to COVID delays. At least, I hope that is good information.

mulligansoup

New

Post by mulligansoup » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:06 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am
thriller1122 wrote:

I'll look for the numbers on the boards. I dont remember exactly where I saw the stats, and now that you mention it I think it was actually military-wide, not just the Navy student program. I'll look for it and get back to you.

As far as the SP, the website states "be a law student with at least one year of school completed, attending an American Bar Association (ABA)-accredited school, or a graduate of an ABA-accredited law school who has not yet had the opportunity to take the first available bar exam following graduation. Students who attend law school part time or intend to matriculate in a dual degree program must be within two years of completing all remaining degree requirements"

I talked with the head of recruiting and they said I was eligible to apply to this board because of the delay to the bar (I haven't had an opportunity to take it yet). Generally I wouldn't be eligible, but they said they're making an exception for this board due to COVID delays. At least, I hope that is good information.
Is this in an email conversation?

I was very curious and asked the navy accessions account if I was eligible to apply (give it one last go) and the LT that replied when I was getting my account unlocked said Graduates had to wait for the direct appointment application.

mulligansoup

New

Post by mulligansoup » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Quick aside: I asked specifically about May 2020 Grads

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am

mulligansoup wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:06 pm
thriller1122 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am
thriller1122 wrote:

Is this in an email conversation?

I was very curious and asked the navy accessions account if I was eligible to apply (give it one last go) and the LT that replied when I was getting my account unlocked said Graduates had to wait for the direct appointment application.
Yes, that's unfortunately correct. Elle gave me a good contact and I confirmed I am not eligible for the SP :'( I guess I will just have to wait until the do a board for graduates

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wannalaw18

New

Post by Wannalaw18 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Does anyone know if the tech issues when submitting a couple of weeks ago might push back the board meeting?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 am

Wannalaw18 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm
Does anyone know if the tech issues when submitting a couple of weeks ago might push back the board meeting?
No. Last I heard, the board is scheduled for early/mid-November as usual.

UMNLawBee

New

Post by UMNLawBee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:53 am

Curious if anyone has come across more recent statistics on application/selection. The website still hasn't updated from the 2018-2019 numbers but I imagine there were some interesting shifts for the 2019-2020 cycles, given:

• that last year's 3L/4E cycle changes were driven by the fact of an already well-filled class and, presumably, fewer available spots
  • what I assume was a large increase in applications and credentials during the COVID/economy crisis and major deadline extensions and, consequently, likely heightened scrutiny for selections and lower selection rates.

Wannalaw18

New

Post by Wannalaw18 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 am
Wannalaw18 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm
No. Last I heard, the board is scheduled for early/mid-November as usual.
Elle, thank you very much. This is my last shot at the SP before my time in CIP is up and I have to return as an MA1. I appreciate all of the information that you've provided throughout the years on this forum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”