Now that finals are over, I feel lost... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: Now that finals are over, I feel lost...

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

sublime wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Wish I saw the original post.
Just got done with finals earlier this week. I feel relieved but now I don't know what to do.
Decided to read some E&Es for the classes I'm taking in the spring and just got done with Admin Law last night and am planning on moving on to Fed Tax.
What are you guys possibly doing with so much free time on your hands now? :|
Poor kid.

A partner told me once that being a successful lawyer doesn't really depend on being a good attorney. This was an amazing statement that, when one thinks about it, makes crazy sense. It comes down to people liking you and wanting to work with you. I see it all the time. You can be the smartest guy in the room, but clients hire people they like. The rainmakers make it rain while leveraging the time of the smarter attorneys.

So GO OUT. Be social. We're all kidding you - but seriously, go have a drink with a friend. Maybe consider trying to get laid / develop a romantic relationship. Kissing is fun. So is drinking. Sometimes both are fun at the same time. Sometimes both are terrible in their own ways. Get yourself a crazy story. You will not have this much free time again in your life (probably).

Playing video games is a good Plan B if you're set in the romance department. Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty good (Origins was better).

Don't think about lawschool until classes begin again.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:47 pm

olive16 wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:kk, I will do that. I should probably also go over the lawyering handbook for the firm I'm SAing at this summer on their policies and procedures, etc so I don't fk it up and get no offered.
flame just jumped the shark my friend.
Yeah, I think that post went too far. Deleting the OP helped get this flame back on track though.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:03 pm

I highly recommend visiting more national parks.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:04 pm

banjo wrote:
olive16 wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:kk, I will do that. I should probably also go over the lawyering handbook for the firm I'm SAing at this summer on their policies and procedures, etc so I don't fk it up and get no offered.
Yeah, I think that post went too far. Deleting the OP helped get this flame back on track though.
Part of me always knows this, then part of me remembers how oblivious I have been to social norms at various points in my life, and JUST WANTS TO HELP.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Just got done with finals earlier this week. I feel relieved but now I don't know what to do.
Decided to read some E&Es for the classes I'm taking in the spring and just got done with Admin Law last night and am planning on moving on to Fed Tax.
Poor kid.

A partner told me once that being a successful lawyer doesn't really depend on being a good attorney. This was an amazing statement that, when one thinks about it, makes crazy sense. It comes down to people liking you and wanting to work with you. I see it all the time. You can be the smartest guy in the room, but clients hire people they like. The rainmakers make it rain while leveraging the time of the smarter attorneys.

So GO OUT. Be social. We're all kidding you - but seriously, go have a drink with a friend. Maybe consider trying to get laid / develop a romantic relationship. Kissing is fun. So is drinking. Sometimes both are fun at the same time. Sometimes both are terrible in their own ways. Get yourself a crazy story. You will not have this much free time again in your life (probably).

Playing video games is a good Plan B if you're set in the romance department. Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty good (Origins was better).

Today I learned!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 pm

banjo wrote:
olive16 wrote:
It's DF, anything goes.

OP, you're going to be an attorney. Work on thickening skin.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:01 pm

Got home before 9 tonight for the first time this week and I feel lost what to do with my time. I'm going on vacation starting Friday and I have no idea what I'm going to do to pass the time. Partner told me to take at least a week off or I wouldn't have. I plan on bringing my work laptop on vacation and doing work though. I also plan on doing some research on the companies of the next project I'll be staffed on. I printed off all their 10-ks to read through and prep, but what else can I do?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:23 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You feel lost because you're a hollow shell of a human being unable to create meaning without pointless and arbitrary rites of passage like law school.
great minds something something

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:25 am

twenty wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:You feel lost because you're a hollow shell of a human being unable to create meaning without pointless and arbitrary rites of passage like law school.
great minds something something
I think I'm too dumb to understand that thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 am

Disagree with the consensus. If this isn't a joke then I respect your stamina, OP. If you don't go crazy and can connect to people then you're gonna do well.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:44 am

Kimikho wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Poor kid.

Today I learned!
Based on the video game references and urge to continue studying post-finals, I chose verbiage so as not to scare OP in case this was new. If you start in with butt-stuff too soon they clench right up, you've got to massage it first.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'd seriously suggest killing yourself. This is not some snarky retort, I mean it.
+1, +1.

For anyone lurking who actually struggles with how to enjoy free time and feels "lost" not taking law school exams, see a therapist.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:47 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd seriously suggest killing yourself. This is not some snarky retort, I mean it.
+1, +1.

For anyone lurking who actually struggles with how to enjoy free time and feels "lost" not taking law school exams, see a therapist.
Bullying the kid in a sweater vest and glasses is a good look.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 am

Xbox 1 was a done with finals gift to myself. That's my plan.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:37 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
+1, +1.

Bullying the kid in a sweater vest and glasses is a good look.
Therapy is a softer recommendation than suicide.

To be frank, all the 1Ls I've seen who finished finals (and us when we were 1Ls) were fucking thrilled and knew exactly what to do: hit the bar/club asap, sleep for 12+ hrs, then some netflix recovery, clean your apartment and quit that bitch to go travel, see family, read great novels watch great or shitty movies and just do something totally unrelated. I don't see a lot of people struggling externally or internally with this on Dec 18.

By early January, yea some folks are ready to go back. That's pretty normal and even healthy if you took some time to yourself. Freaking out right after finals about lack of work and reading E&E's? That's gonna burn you out by early march. It will do far more damage than good academically even if you're morally opposed to relaxation. That's why this is definitely a flame.

If you really want to feel productive over winter break, network and visit firms or other legal organizations when you're home. Less stress on the job hunt when spring classes start.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I agree, but different strokes work for different folks. It's possible s/he actually likes it. Obviously, job hunting is more productive than studying 4 months out of exams.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Obviously, job hunting is more productive than studying 4 months out of exams.
If there's one big takeaway I have from the first semester it's that you can legitimately learn the course's full content, at least insofar as to have a strong enough grasp to handle a three-hour exam, within a few days. Prepping now for exams in May is just unconscionable

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 pm

I'm pretty sure OP is a 2L. Which makes this even funnier.

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Obviously, job hunting is more productive than studying 4 months out of exams.
If there's one big takeaway I have from the first semester it's that you can legitimately learn the course's full content, at least insofar as to have a strong enough grasp to handle a three-hour exam, within a few days. Prepping now for exams in May is just unconscionable
This. I'm also reasonably certain I did well.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Sheriff wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
Are you a 1L? If so man, that's some crazy self jinxing.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Now I don't have an excuse for being a hermit. FML.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:55 pm

OP I can sympathize. For people who work intensely for a long time with a singular focus it can be tough to switch gears. I recommend (rather than reading E+Es which is dumb) that you think about what you would like to do (books to read, movies, events, maybe some travel) and then make a plan to address it. You will be waiting for grades for a couple weeks and there is little to nothing that is practical for law school to do during break.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Poor kid.

I actually know I pretty social dude who did this. I woke up at his place after turning up in NYC after last new years and there was an open securities regulation E&E on his bookshelf. It almost ruined our friendship. Like I said though, he normally seems normal.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:36 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Have fun. Drink heavily. Binge watch TV or play video games.
If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were stalking me.

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
Are you a 1L? If so man, that's some crazy self jinxing.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think I aced every exam. I just think I did well considering how much I crammed into the end of the semester.

I'll still do things differently next semester though, just to save myself the stress. The last few weeks were rough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”