1/2 of Exam Cancelled Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawstudent123

New

1/2 of Exam Cancelled

Post by Lawstudent123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Took a final in federal income tax today. First part was MC on scantron, second part was essay on locked out computer. Were only supposed to use written outlines, basically anything but the computer. Class was split into two different classrooms, one classroom was instructed they could use computer notes during first part (and did), other classroom was told they could not (and did not).

After whole exam was finished, professor emailed class saying that the MC part of the exam is bring thrown out, entire grade now being based on essay questions in second part. All because one exam administrator gave the wrong verbal instructions. Can schools just throw parts of tests out like that? Nothing in the handbook says they have this ability or protocol in place for a situation like this.

Kratos

Platinum

Re: 1/2 of Exam Cancelled

Post by Kratos » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:17 pm

yes

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Lawstudent123 wrote:Took a final in federal income tax today. First part was MC on scantron, second part was essay on locked out computer. Were only supposed to use written outlines, basically anything but the computer. Class was split into two different classrooms, one classroom was instructed they could use computer notes during first part (and did), other classroom was told they could not (and did not).

After whole exam was finished, professor emailed class saying that the MC part of the exam is bring thrown out, entire grade now being based on essay questions in second part. All because one exam administrator gave the wrong verbal instructions. Can schools just throw parts of tests out like that? Nothing in the handbook says they have this ability or protocol in place for a situation like this.
Did the exam not have instructions?

And I'm not sure I follow why the prof can't grade these and curve them separately. Student affairs can sort who was in which room, right?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawstudent123

New

Post by Lawstudent123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 pm

I talked to the professor briefly after he sent the email out. He said the class sizes were two disproportionate to have two separate curves (about 100 people and maybe 40). He even considered taking into student class ranks, etc. I honestly don't remember what the instructions on the front of the exam said, but he did say in class self write physical notes only.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:30 pm

I can already see the ABA storming into the LS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:32 pm

file suit immediately

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 am

FWIW, the one time I did a comparison of my MC and essay performance it was a exam where there were 350 total raw points available, divided evenly. My raw scores for the two halves differed by 1 point. (That was closed book MC and open book essay).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 am

They can do whatever they want. During 1L, a professor gave the exact same exam she gave the year before. Which was a slight problem because she gave us that exam and the model answer as a practice exam. It was open note, so I just started copying verbatim from the model answer/my notes from the answer. I got an A. Neat.

But people were pissed. Deans were involved. There was talk of retaking the exam or grading everyone pass/fail. Professor acknowledged that she released the wrong exam. Deans did nothing. Everyone got regular grades.

Arbitrary as fuck, yo.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 am

shock259 wrote:They can do whatever they want. During 1L, a professor gave the exact same exam she gave the year before. Which was a slight problem because she gave us that exam and the model answer as a practice exam. It was open note, so I just started copying verbatim from the model answer/my notes from the answer. I got an A. Neat.

But people were pissed. Deans were involved. There was talk of retaking the exam or grading everyone pass/fail. Professor acknowledged that she released the wrong exam. Deans did nothing. Everyone got regular grades.

Arbitrary as fuck, yo.
Lol what.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 am

fats provolone wrote:file suit immediately

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”