10 hours ETA to CivPro exam: How's this plan? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stylistics

New

10 hours ETA to CivPro exam: How's this plan?

Post by Stylistics » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am

I just finished reading the Emmanuel Outline cover to cover, so I know most of the cases common to CivPro classes everywhere, but nothing about some little-known cases in my professor's "supplementary" coursepark (most cases are US CoA; I reasoned that since Emmanuel covers all the topics the course did, there's bound to be a case that illustrates something better than the coursepack.

I have a 40pg outline from an upperclassmen who got a high grade but I'm not that familiar with.

My plan is to:

1. Write my response to a 60min problem, show it to anyone still awake.
2. Condense Emmanuel to something usable and then fuse it with the 40pg outline.
3. If I step 2 done in 2-3hrs, I'd read over the portions of GTM I highlighted to see if they'd be useful.
4. Use remaining time to work on E&E's since the explanations will substitute for an awake reviewer when everyone's asleep. Either that or do shorter problems from past exams and compare my answers to past high grades.

Sleeping is out of the question--I just woke up from a 3hr nap and can go all night (realistically I'll have to stay awake for the next 12hrs, 9hrs until exam and a 3hr exam). If need be I'll nap shortly before the exam.

whats an updog

Bronze

Re: 10 hours ETA to CivPro exam: How's this plan?

Post by whats an updog » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 am

only you know if that will work for you or not

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:47 am

just sleep man. i tried this crap for property 1L and got my worst grade in all of law school. I started sleeping more and and worrying less and did better. Civ pro is so formulaic- just skim a few times, get a good night's sleep, and outline dump. you'll do better than if you stay up all night and basically end up doing the same thing, just worse. I dont know about you, but we had a 5 hour civ pro final. sleep.

Stylistics

New

Post by Stylistics » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:55 am

Like I said, I'm not fighting the urge. This entire week my sleeping pattern has been such that at this hour, I just recent woke up from a nap and feel refreshed, and I don't know an outline/the issues well enough and I haven't put in nearly as much work as other people. I've also barely gotten any practice in.

If at a certain time in the early morning it appears that I'll be braindead during the actual exam, then I'll nap.

That said, are you gonna be up in like an hour?
victortsoi wrote:just sleep man. i tried this crap for property 1L and got my worst grade in all of law school. I started sleeping more and and worrying less and did better. Civ pro is so formulaic- just skim a few times, get a good night's sleep, and outline dump. you'll do better than if you stay up all night and basically end up doing the same thing, just worse. I dont know about you, but we had a 5 hour civ pro final. sleep.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:57 am

Forget going back over GTM at this point.

If you want to do a PT, just outline it... don't write the whole thing.

And get some sleep. If you don't, your mind will be mush for the exam.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stylistics

New

Post by Stylistics » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 am

Well I only plan to write out 1 60min answer in full. I can outline my answers to the rest. But I wanted someone (the biggest obstacle is whether people are awake) to look over one of my full answers to see if there's something fundamentally wrong with how I'm fleshing out my full answers. I've said elsewhere that I might be writing an issue spotter as if it were a Hemingway manuscript. Should I not bother with general statements like "a court must have SMJ, PJ, and proper venue in order to hear a case."
And likewise dispense with telling the prof what happened in a given case and instead just apply it straight to the facts?

Sentence 1. Court will likely have personal jurisdiction over A.
Sentence 2. Although A ___, he still ___, and this is enough to satisfy minimum contacts as Asahi also found minimum contacts on slimmer facts.
Sentence 3. But it remains to consider whether the exercise of PJ over A is reasonable so as to not offend FPSJ, as Asahi invalidated PJ despite the defendant having minimum contacts.

Idunno what timezone you're in but if you're still up in an hour or so, you mind taking 5-10 mins to read over one of my answers (that I will begin to write) to a subpart of an exam?
BVest wrote:Forget going back over GTM at this point.

If you want to do a PT, just outline it... don't write the whole thing.

And get some sleep. If you don't, your mind will be mush for the exam.

Stylistics

New

Post by Stylistics » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:03 am

OK I typed 1500 words to in 60 mins to a 60min question. The question asked for both SMJ and PJ. I spent all 1500 words on SMJ. I'm not sure if I should post my response publicly but is the approach to spend 2-3 sentences per issue and then MOVE ON instead of trying to squeeze everything out of one minor issue that you think might be relevant but you ultimately conclude doesn't apply?

I brought up Grable and Exxon-Mobil only to reject them as bases for SMJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”